Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

How many pellets?

How many pellets do you normally feed, and how often? Obviously a question for those who feed via pellets. xD

I see people that say they feed one or two a day, people who feed six.

I'm asking because my Calder seems to be a pretty big boy-- he's a 'king' from petco (just a kind of big plakat I think) and he's about the length of my little finger. I've been feeding him 4 pellets in the morning and four at night-- but he still lurks around the top begging for food so sometimes I cave and give him a few more. He doesn't seem bloated or anything. 8|
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #2 
Jupiter

Bettas will ALWAYS beg for more, lol...we just have the be the better person and resist. It is hard sometimes though...

I feed my bettas about 4/5 pellets a day. Since Albatross is a bit bigger, I usually give him 5/6. It's reasonable to say that the smaller fish need less pellets while bigger ones will eat more, so I think 6-8 pellets should be okay for a king...but I'm not really sure since I've never owned one.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:30 AM   #3 
DormDrax

I always cave...

I can't help it! If Drax see's me handling the food containers he starts darting along the glass where I normally feed him frantically opening his mouth doing a "MEEP MEEP!" Sorta thing with his mouth... it's so cute!

He's an active one so I feed him 3-4 pellets twice a day and if I cave... I give him a treat of a blood worm (Freeze Dried).
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:54 AM   #4 
crezelda

i give mine 2 pellets and enough flake to cover a girl's pinky fingernail twice a day, and sometimes a pellet as a snack. once and awhile i'll give him half rations or fast just to be safe. I think alot of bettas on here can be fed a bit more than the instructions say, as most bettas are kept in a small tank at room temps, and my guy is nice and warm and swims around all day.

and yes he begs. i had no idea fish could learn to beg. i cave. i babytalk to him when i feed him.
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #5 
toledoll

I only do 2/3 pellets a day because I've noticed that he tends to swim to the bottom to eat the pellets I feed my cories.
toledoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #6 
demonr6

I have learned my lesson with overfeeding. My s/o would feed him 2-3 pellets if not more 2x plus a few freeze dried bloodworms and now we have a QT'ed, miserable fish that has been a mess for over two weeks. Once he pulls through this it is diet time for his own good... and my wife got a swift kick in the ass for creating a buffet atmosphere for him. :)
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #7 
Grundylady

How BIG are your pellets. I bought these "New Life Spectrum Betta Formula" and they are "1mm semi-floating pellets" I can't imagine that 2 or 3 is enough. The jar does not say.

I was just coming to ask how many how often when I saw this thread.

Bo just came home to us yesterday and always looks hungry. As a matter of fact he is always poking at the gravel trying to find food, and biting things.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #8 
demonr6

We were using the Nutra Fin I think, problem was even though they started off semi-small, they expanded hella big. They were not pre-soaked which made it worse so Marco was essentially gorging on these pellets and they inflated in his tiny stomach and it went south from there. It eventually caught up with us. Stupid pet store really doesn't know their ass from Adam. This was before I hit the forums hard on the topic. I wish I had done so first. I was at PetSmart recently and caught the person in the fish section selling a guy a small cube, telling him to use plain tap water and no treatment since they live in dirty water anyways and to feed him as many pellets as he can eat twice daily. I promptly yanked the prospective fish owner aside after the PS tool was done with him. These people make it seem like you can simply throw them in a Dixie cup with toilet water and a bunch of food and they tend to themselves just fine. And don't get me started on the conditions of the poor Bettas at the Wal-Mart up the road. OMFG I want to choke the crap out of someone when I see the poor fish there.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #9 
Grundylady

These pellets are the size of a head of a pin. They don't seem to get huge later.....

Sigh, I still don't know how much to give him.

I thought I read once to not feed them the first two days....but he seemed so hungry and I forgot to ask at the store. (I got the equipment at Petco but the fish at a local pet store where they specialized in fish.) The fish guy seemed to actually care about them, and his bettas weren't in cups, or not huge containers but big enough for them to swim a bit and look perky.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #10 
demonr6

At least they cared enough at the store to take care of their Bettas, or at least give the impression they do. I was horrified at the conditions I saw at this Wal-Mart. I was going to take pics and post them but it was so absolutely pathetic I did not want to upset other people. Add insult to all of this they have a number of Bettas that are kept on a shelf with the discount items they are trying to get rid of, these are in conditions worse than the others which leads me to think these are the soon to be disposed. One of the little containers looked like they poured freaking dirt into it! I had to leave the store.

GAH! Now I have upset myself all over again.