Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #11 
Grundylady

My lord. I'm so glad my Walmart does not sell pets.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #12 
demonr6

I wish I had the space to take them in, hell I would buy them all and donate them to good homes if I could find them.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #13 
dragonfair

I found thru experimenting that the magic number for my fish is 3 pellets in the morning and 3 in the evening. I feed them one pellet at a time and wait until they finish that one before dropping in the next pellet. Same with bloodworm treats - a little at a time.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #14 
toledoll

On a Wal-Mart rant, the fish at my store are so neglected that EVERY TANK had a sign on it that said "Fish Have Ick: Will Not Sell." They let ick spread to 20 tanks! Every betta cup was...well dumped. It's terrible, they didn't even want to treat the bettas so they just trashed them, and the workers could give to flips about any of it.
toledoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #15 
demonr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfair View Post
I found thru experimenting that the magic number for my fish is 3 pellets in the morning and 3 in the evening. I feed them one pellet at a time and wait until they finish that one before dropping in the next pellet. Same with bloodworm treats - a little at a time.
Heh, I caught my wife one morning with a 1 tsp scoop.. NoOoo!!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #16 
DormDrax

Well Drax does have a 10gallon all to himself and as I've said he uses every inch of it so... I think 4 pellets a meal is ... ok. What? He's like that one friend who can finish off a whole Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust then still want to go out and get icecream... cept he's a fish version (I have a friend like that).
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #17 
demonr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Well Drax does have a 10gallon all to himself and as I've said he uses every inch of it so... I think 4 pellets a meal is ... ok. What? He's like that one friend who can finish off a whole Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust then still want to go out and get icecream... cept he's a fish version (I have a friend like that).
Heh, I remember those days. It will eventually catch up with him though. ;)

When I feed ours, it is one or two pellets and I would go after the smaller ones. I would drop in a freeze dried bloodworm or two but that was it. The fd bloodworms are off the diet now and I am switching to frozen, also adding frozen Daphnia to the menu as well.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #18 
dragonfair

I read somewhere that fish and horses don't have an "I'm full" off switch to tell them to stop eating. Don't know if that's true, but bettas certainly always seem frantically hungry, don't they?
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #19 
elijahfeathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundylady View Post
How BIG are your pellets. I bought these "New Life Spectrum Betta Formula" and they are "1mm semi-floating pellets" I can't imagine that 2 or 3 is enough. The jar does not say.

I was just coming to ask how many how often when I saw this thread.

Bo just came home to us yesterday and always looks hungry. As a matter of fact he is always poking at the gravel trying to find food, and biting things.

That's actually the same brand I'm using now. Calder adores it-- he hardly touched the pellets I had before. But these ones he's all over like white on rice. Especially when they start to sink-- he chases them like mad!
The thing with him is that it feels like some of them are bigger than others. Some seem to be the size of his old pellets-- but otehrs seem to be like. Half that size.

I think I'll stick with maybe giving him three or four in the morning, and three or four at night.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #20 
Renee S

Right now I'm trying to get a feel of how much my guy will eat, so I've been dropping a lot in (they sink quickly on top of that) and he's only eating like 2 or 3. The filter makes them sink quickly and he's in a 10 gallon, so I'm tapping on the glass before dropping the food in so he knows when to come around for the food. Seems to be working.
Renee S is offline   Reply With Quote