Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #1 
DinobotLoki

My new beta and his tank partner.

I've been caring for various animals for years, and recently my dear boyfriend purchased a beta after a couple of months of having a fish for a brain. So when I was given a new tank to put my toad Gunter in... you can guess what happened. I've had Terrapin for only a few days now and I already love him to death. His and Gunter's tank is on a cart so I have it close to my turtle tank, which is on a stand, unless it's being cleaned. The little guy loves to flair at Ichigo (my turtle) and it's hilarious to watch them swim back and forth while staring at each other. My boyfriend mentioned posting here to find out what people think, and I figured I might as well.

DinobotLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Wait, you have them in the SAME TANK? Not a good idea. The toad looks like it could really damage the Betta if it tried. Also, that rock and the shallow water give the Betta hardly any room to swim.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Please get the betta his own tank! Thats really unsafe for him! He could get seriously hurt! Not much swimming space either... I think your betta would like a tank to himself.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #4 
DinobotLoki

Gunter does not hunt fish, she is far too lazy for that. I've housed fish with my toads before, when I had more of them and they do not see anything swimming as a source of food. Also, they ARE in a twenty-five-to-thirty gallon tank, and it is a little over a quarter of the way full. Even with half of it as a land mass and the cup, which he hides out in, that still leaves at least three gallons of area and water for him.

I do have a backup tank if it doesn't work out or if I see him paling at all, but I have housed fish with my aquatic and bi-aquatic animals before, this is just the first time I've done it with a beta.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #5 
metalbetta

Not to mention that most amphibians release toxins from their skin which pollute the water. Also some prefer cooler water temperatures compared to the warm water that tropical fish need to thrive. 2 of the reasons I don't keep my bettas with my fire bellied newts.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #6 
sjones

I think you need to be banned.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Maybe not banned, but please Dino, put the betta in his own tank! We know what we're saying here :/
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #8 
DinobotLoki

Gunter is a Fowlers/American Toad mix, and I do know that she is poisonous, but as I said, I've housed fish with her and my other toads before and have had no issues. Also, she doesn't release toxins into the water, otherwise I would have never added fish in the first place. Do understand, I have a backup, but that is just that, a back up. I thought this through before I did it, it was NOT some random decision. I pride myself in the keeping of my pets, they are like my children and I do not do anything without full confidence that they will be ok with it. Gunter ignores Terrapin completely, and Terra' seems content with swimming in his half of the tank. In a few weeks I'll have a better filter that will hide under Gunter's landmass, in which case that will be gone and add even more room.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #9 
DinobotLoki

Why would I be banned? It's not harming him, otherwise I would have moved him already.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #10 
meeka

im not normally one to judge .......... but that is one of the worse setups I have ever seen.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote