Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #11 
DinobotLoki

I'd also like to add that at a quick glance I've seen quite a few people with one gallon tanks and no one chewing them out. The water is approximately five inches high, and according to my volume, it's about three full gallons for his size only. I do partial water changes every other day, and will do full water changes every week, just as I do my turtle. Also, I have and use water conditioner in the water for him. It doesn't bother Gunter so I have no worries for her on that one.
DinobotLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #12 
Akzeal

Depth-wise, she's got about the same depth as a typical rice-paddy, it looks like. About 15 cm/6 inches. Just from the pictures, I think her betta has two or three times his height in water, which is about as much as mine has. Three gallons swimming room is as much as a betta in a 3-way divided 10 gallon, too, so I'm really not seeing the problem.

As long as you keep a SHARP eye out for any signs of distress on Terra's part, and maybe change the water a little more frequently than normal, I think it's a cute set-up, and not a problem.
Akzeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #13 
DinobotLoki

"im not normally one to judge .......... but that is one of the worse setups I have ever seen."

And you say that because...?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #14 
meeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinobotLoki View Post
"im not normally one to judge .......... but that is one of the worse setups I have ever seen."

And you say that because...?
Umm because toads eat fish .............. and they do secrete toxins from their skin which Im sure would not be good for your little guy.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #15 
DinobotLoki

Really, I'd like to say that this is quite stupid. I posted to ask for how I could make the setup better, not to be hounded about hurting my fish, which it is not as far as I can tell. Suggestions about moving Gunter's landmass one way or another, or a way to put the filter so as to take up less room, that was what I was hoping for. Instead you attack me, assume that I don't give a rats behind about Terrapin and that I've not made sure that things are safe- even though I've made it clear that if I notice anything awry in the tank I have a back up one for my fish. I have more area for my fish then most people do, with a filter and heater keeping the water at a nice, even temperature. Also, as Akzeal said, it is about the same range of water height as his, and I will be looking out for any signs of distress or paling which is another thing I've mentioned two or three times now.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #16 
DinobotLoki

I'll say it again. Gunter will not eat him. Again. Gunter will not eat him because I've housed fish with her before and she has no interest in them. You are thinking of frogs, not toads such as the one I have. I also feed her outside of the tank in a carrier and as such she knows that food is not put in her enclosure.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #17 
DinobotLoki

And again with the poison, I have checked the water and she doesn't secrete any unless threatened, which she is not.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #18 
meeka

You asked for our opinions and your getting them.

I think what most are concerned about is the toad/fish mix, not the amount of water he is in.

If you think its working and you have both animals best interests in mind then good, keep going with it. I just dont believe in this sort of aquarium setup.

Also your toads may be very different to what we get in Australia. Over here we do our best to try and kill them all as they are a pest and take away the habitats of our beautiful native frogs.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #19 
sjones

but, but.. you're making me secrete poison, I can't imagine the toad is far behind ;)-kidding
the betta's clamped fins, spiny bent up ventrals and pale coloring show that he is really in poor health mentally and physically, the whole rice paddy myth being applied to domesticated bettas is WRONG..
there are articles on proper betta care all over this site look around
and you did get feedback, you just chose to get hostile and argue with it, so now you just appear unstable
I'm sure praying will help clear everything up :D
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 AM   #20 
vaygirl

For bettas it's not just paleness you want to watch out for. When they're stressed they'll get stress stripes, which are horizontal stripes down the side of their bodies. Their 'chins' usually get pale too when they're striping up. They like hiding places and plants to make them feel secure.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote