Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #1 
soccerdog693

how my lfs treats bettas

So for my betta, I decided to go to a pet stores that specializes in aquarium fish instead of just a petsmart or petco. Mostly, I wanted something that wouldn't die as soon as I got home. I had noticed before that most of the fish in this particular store looked healthy, so I decided this would be my best chance at getting a disease free betta without going to aquabid or a breeder.

I was quite impressed.

Along the wall was probably 3 shelves of of acrylic "cubes" for lack of a better word, containing beautiful active bettas. Now, the "tanks" weren't huge, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 gallon each, but they were a bigger than those plastic cups at most stores! AND they were clean! Most of the bettas were swimming around, flaring every now and then, and I don't recall seeing any dead ones. When I found the one I wanted, the fish store guy simply poured him into a plastic bag, like most other fish you buy, and set the tank aside, probably for the next betta shipment.

I wish more pet stores would realize that there are alternatives to tiny little dirty plastic cups.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #2 
soccerdog693

Now that I think about it, I bet they were closer to 1/2 gal. Def not a good permanent home for the bettas, but like I said, a lot better than most fish stores.

Oh, and they were stored in a tropical fish room, which was heated.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #3 
demonicangel132007

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdog693 View Post
Now that I think about it, I bet they were closer to 1/2 gal. Def not a good permanent home for the bettas, but like I said, a lot better than most fish stores.

Oh, and they were stored in a tropical fish room, which was heated.
That sounds nice. My LPS (I found it the other day after someone reminded me of it) only had 5 in cups from the grocery store's deli across the street (bad!) but I'm trying to get a job there, hopefully since it's also a dog grooming place they will let me be in charge of the fish section and I can clean it up/organize it, etc. (it needs it, believe me). They have all kinds of tropical fish that I still have to learn about so I can make sure they go to safe homes as well. But thanks for giving me some ideas that I can pitch to them to help them with business, hopefully.
demonicangel132007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #4 
Abby

My area has three stores. One where i got my male Dastan is more accessories for all your animals, tanks feeding and such, they have a handfull of fishtanks up back with fresh water fish, very clean and they treat their Bettas with somewhat respect. The second is an aquarium and pets, they have fresh and salt water fish and small animals (pups kittens rabbits,guinea pigs, rats and mice) but their betta's are kept in Chinese containers, but their bay tanks are below them.....empty. i was like "Huh?". They completely over stock their tanks, im talking 600 L X 350 H X 400 D with fish in them, but the amount of fish is like 4 or 5 times over what should be in them. The third is associated with an animal rights and rescue, she stocks kittens and pups (pups occasionally) depending on the rescue groups overload, shes got a fair few salt water tanks and hardly any Betta's her store is a mess but she knows what shes talking about.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #5 
baylee767

Wow that kinda reminds me of one of my LFS's.

It sells lots of cupped Bettas unfortunatly /= But they keep the cups on heated shelves. They have HUNDREDS of HM's, PK's, ETC... but all the fish get daily water changes! They also have huge divided tanks where they keep some of the Bettas, like I saw a few Hm's, a DBT, and a king there. They were charging $75 for the king though 0.0 But probably since he's garunteed to be healthy.

SERIOUSLY, though, that place probably has roughly 400 Bettas. a couple hundred on these shelves that go up to the ceiling, and another couple hundred they have placed right below incadescent (HEAT!) lights on shelves above of all the other fish tanks. That place is just incredible.

They also sell lots of plants and hard to find invertabrites... and these WAAY overly sized black tailed guppies (The tail's over sized) I mean the tails are more than twice the size of the guppy... they charge $25 for a pair of those.

That place is expensive but provides good quality fishies.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:58 AM   #6 
Luimeril

my lps is pretty good about their bettas. often times, the VTs get the tanks in back with friendly fish, the CTs get the cups, sometimes they have HMs, but it's rare. the cool fish guy tries to keep the "prettier" bettas in different things. i found my white HMPK in a bowl, when i got my female friday, her and a red gal were in the half-gallon divided hex-thing, and next to them was the prettiest marble HM dragon in a half-gallon hex-thing to himself(diivider was out of it). the worst i've EVER seen the bettas was when i got my rescue, Zidane. there was a fish dead in every tank in back except the saltwaters, and the bettas were horrid. Zidane had a fuzzy fungus in his cup, meaning it hadnt' been cleaned in days. x-X needless to say, they improved DRASTICALLY since then. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #7 
Abby

my pet shops here have two "types" "Regular" and "Crown-tails". Dastan's a "Regular" none are specific except i do KNOW that one PS has half moon females. they look okish, but i still cant believe they have maybe 30-40 betta bays and they are all empty and the bettas are in Chinese containers. in there today and some customer was trying to get a better look at them, picking the containers up and twisting them around and the water was churning i had to bite my lip
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #8 
Grundylady

I guess I am so lucky to have the store I have near me. Last week they only had about 10 Bettas, all in I'd guess tiny 1/2 gal tanks. (NOT cups)

When I went in on Tuesday they had maybe 20 bettas. Again none in little cups. (They had one female but she was in a community tank with other fish for sale.) They all were pretty active. And he advised me to get a heater when I admitted that the heat had dropped to 66 overnight.

The ones at my petco were fairly listless and in the tiny cups.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #9 
Abby

Yeah I dislike the tiny containers and the way they are shaken around for people to get a look at the fish, yes they can live in the conditions but you would think that the PS would want the fish to have room to stretch out a bit THUS showing off their styles not fins down settled on the bottom of the container tail to view.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #10 
meeka

There are heaps of aquarium stores around my area.
The store where I brought Herbie from (in my avatar) was keeping them all in glass jars. He looked so sad, they can even turn around properly. The water was brown when they poured him into a bag.
But the rest of the stores around here normally keep them in the Betta Barracks, they are filtered and look pristine. At least its an improvement on jars and chinese containers.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote