Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #1 
Buttercup

Strange Behavior...

I bought Emerarudo from Meijer yesterday because the containers were clean and the Bettas seemed very active. Emerarudo was very active but I didn't notice that he had a white spot very close to his gills because I'm severely near sighted. It doesn't look like the natural color of his scales. In fact it looks like (to me) that his scales are gone. He's become unactive since I've put him in his new tank. Yesterday was my cleaning day too so the tank was clean. Could this be caused by this strange spot? Can this be treated? With what can I treat it with? I'm worried about this poor guy. The only time I've really seen him swim around is when he needs to take a breath and when he decided to try and eat food at feeding time. He ate some and then went straight back down to his spot along the side of the tank. Maybe he's just stressed or bored?
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #2 
DormDrax

I'm going to say what even the experts will...

Try to take pictures...
Any will do, most of the time the experts can tell what the problem is just from a fuzzy image.

As for the unactive nature? He's new to the tank, he's all shy, give him a week and he'll perk up. Give him two weeks and you'll start seeing his weird unique quirky behavior start to shine through haha I'm sure he's fine.

But yeah... show images... Who knows it might be nothing!
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

We also need some more information...

Tank size, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, additives used, filtration, live plants, appetite, foods being fed, amounts.....how many days have you had him in this setup?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #4 
Buttercup

1) Both tanks are 1 gallon.
2) 100% every other day.
3) The temperature reads 82.
4) I have a filter.
5) Fake plants.
6) I feed him flakes and pellets.
7) Betta ColorBright, TetraColor Tropical Granules, and TetraMin Tropical Flakes.
8) A pinch of flakes and 3 pellets.
9) I've only had him in this setup for 1 day and that's why I included that it might be that he's just bored, stressed, or shy. As for the marking on him I have to get a camera. I'll post it in a while. It's going to be hard to get a shot of that side.

Last edited by Buttercup; 01-14-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: I needed to add more information.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #5 
Buttercup

Here is the picture. I tried my best to get a good shot so please don't mind how it got blurred.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How did you acclimate him to the new tank before you put him in?

How strong is the filter-some Betta can be really sensitive to water flow-try turning the filter off for an hour and see how he acts-if he acts the same with it off-be sure and turn it back on within an hour-if his behavior improves I would remove the filter all together and add 1-100% water change a week along with 1-50% a week to maintain water quality....

Also-1gal with a filter-I would make twice weekly 50% water changes-one to include the substrate cleaning with either vacuum or stir and dip method to maintain water quality

The white spot-I would watch the area for changes-before you try any treatments or medication of any type....it may be a displaced/lost scale and nothing to worry about as long as he is kept in clean water.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #7 
Buttercup

Before I released him into his new water I let the bag float on the surface of the water so he could slowly get used to the newer climate. I'm not sure how strong the filter is on the top of my head but I'll turn it off to see what happens. I'll take in the new habit of making a 50% water change twice a week and see how that works out for him too. What's really worrying me at the moment is how I came home to find him breathing quite hard. He's still breathing the same way and I've been home for about 30 minutes. The spot on his face seems to be a little swollen too. I'm not sure if that's just the shape of his face or what. I really don't want to see this little guy suffer and that's why I'm asking so many questions.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Ask all the question you need...thats what the forum is for......so no worries.....

Sometimes you can have different pH from the pet shop water and your source water and the sudden change in the pH can really stress them and sometimes make them really sick...sadly, it can even cause death within 24-48 hours....not meaning to scare you or anything....and not much you can do about it if that is what happened...but-it will help you acclimate another fish in the future...

It is important to add small amounts of your tank water to the Betta and pet shop water over at least 30min-to-1 hour-pouring out some of the pet shop water and discarding (never put pet shop water in your tank) and repeat this process until all the water in the holding container is from the tank-net the fish and place in the new tank and then top off with fresh dechlorinated water...just in case you have a difference in pH...if the fish shop and your home use the same city water supply then the pH should be pretty close....

What about dechlorinator-did you use the proper amount

Other things that could be going on-could just be the adjustment period

Right now-I would turn off the filter and make a 50% water only change-make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees between new and old water and add a little extra dechlorinator with this water change.

He is a lovely male by the way.....
Old 01-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #9 
Buttercup

He is now deceased...
Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Oh no...sorry for your loss...dang...don't give up..........sometimes these things happen....hopefully you can take him back and get another one since you just got him......warranty is usually good for 7 days at most places......

Look forward to seeing and hearing about your new Betta....don't give up.....okay.....