Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #21 
Omega3

Thanks everyone! It's been 5.5 hrs and he's still alive and he seems to be out of his initial shock. I saw him surface for air and move around a bit. I fashioned a tank cover out of a carboard box so he is in as complete of darkness as I can provide. Green tea treatment starts tomorrow!
Omega3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #22 
Omega3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I use duct tape to attach the small QT container to the side of the heated tank-so it doesn't sink or get bounced around by the filter

With daily 100% water changes in the QT container you should not have build up of ammonia-provide that you remove any uneaten food

The reason you want to keep the water temp in the lower range of normal is due to bacterial production-warmer water the bacteria reproduce faster and with a compromised fish and warmer water the normal bacteria that is always in the water can infect the fish...often you will see secondary infection with open wounds like columnaris...be careful with too high water temps.....

Tannins can be helpful in several ways-darker water helps with stress, antibacterial/fungal properties, soothing and promotes healing

Decaf green tea bags-1tea bag per 1gal of water-steep naturally...do not boil the tea bags or any tannins added for use with treatments-too hot water can kill the antibacterial/fungal properties

Often with badly damaged fins they will never look the same or return to their full glory...especially with ray involvement...

Thanks! I'm terrible with instructions! I'm letting it steep overnight and I'll float him in the smaller, slightly cooler tank with the tea tomorrow. I was wondering about the warm water being good for infections and bad for the fish.

I turned the filter off to prevent banging him around in the tank. Tomorrow, I'll float him in the tank with the tea and tape his container to the sides. I just didn't want to move him AGAIN. Poor little dude's been through enough for today.

Should culmanaris or any other secondary infection set in, what should I do?

Last edited by Omega3; 01-12-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Omega3 is offline   Reply With Quote