Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #1 
Atolon

Midnight's New tank!

So I noticed yesterday that Midnight still didn't move around very often, and would always stay close to the little fake tree that his 1/2 gallon tank brought. After much thinking, I decided to sell some of my Xbox games, and went off to Walmart to look for a tank. I was originally going to buy a Hawkeye 5 gallon, but they were out. So I bought a Tetra 5 Gal, includes light and a filter system.

I then went off to my local Petstore to look for a inexpensive heater system, and live plants. Well, I ended up buying a Elite thermostatic Heater (Which I bought it last night Jan.11, and I woke up this morning to find it busted and with some black dirt looking substance inside, which I have no idea where it came from). Never going back to that Petstore, despite that being where I purchased Midnight from! They didn't have live plants, but a worker told me to take a drive to Beverly's Pet Store. At first I didn't want to go, but my girlfriend convinced me to take the drive. So we went there, and as soon as I walked in, my jaw dropped. THE BEST STORE I"VE YET TO SEE!

I spoke to various workers, and they all knew their stuff. I young man helped me out, sold me One live plant. I wanted a few more, but he told me to try one first, and see how it goes, then come back for more. I bought some green gravel for the tank, and a Spongebob Squarepants pineapple house for him to hide in.

He looks HAPPY! In his 1/2 gallon tank, he barely moved, even when would I dip my fingers around. Now he loves swimming through the tank! I'm very happy for him.

I'm keeping a constant watch on the water temperature, with a submersible stick on thermometer I purchased. I won't be able to buy another heater until the weekend, and I'll make sure to buy a fully submersible one, and one that will last more then a day!

Here is a link to the heater, in case anyone wants to see what it was : http://www.petland.com/fish/heaters-...er-25watt.html
Atolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #2 
shinybetta

That's Great! And about the heater it looks like a really old and unreliable product. You should return it.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #3 
Atolon

I was thinking about returning it, to get my 8 bucks back, but I'm not sure if they'll take it. Its broken with water inside, although I see NO cracks, and some black dirt substance.

I'm just going to spend the cash and buy him a good submersible heater this weekend
Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #4 
dragonfair

Good idea. You actually do get what you pay for with heaters. Look forward to seeing pics of the tank when you get it set up!
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #5 
Atolon

This was his old tank:

This is him now in his new one!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Carbonell%20&%20Tolon/Downloads/IMG00179-20110112-1200.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #6 
dragonfair

Very nice! Love the light green color of the gravel!
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

I have a 50 watt heater from the same brand, in the same style, in my 10 gallon. I like it.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #8 
Atolon

Mine was 75 Watt. I'm not sure if its because I didn't use it properly, or if I had a bad one. Help? The store said it will exchange it for a new one.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #9 
Sweeda88

75 watts is too much for a 5 gallon. 25 watts would be good.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #10 
Atolon

Okay, I'll exchange it for the 25 watt. But I don't understand it, for example the knob... How do I control the temp. to stay around 76?