Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #1 
Missy2280

Dying Anacharis??

Has anyone else had problems with their Anacharis dying? I thought it was a pretty hardy plant but I noticed today the leaves are looking transparent and it is starting to turn brown. Maybe I just got a bad batch. I purchased it at Petsmart, then I went to Petland and got some more and that seems to be doing ok. Can I save it? Lol.
Missy2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Make sure you have the right species-the cold water species Elodea canadensis(cold water) looks just like Egeria densa(warm water) and often sold as the same plant-the warm Betta water will cause it to slowly die...also both species does better in hard water....so if you have really soft water neither will do well or thrive....

What kind of lights do you have..watts and kelvin rating and photo period...do you have them planted/rooted or floating
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #3 
Missy2280

I never knew there was 2 different kinds. I have no clue what I was sold. As far as the lighting it is just an incadescent bulb for "plant growth" is what it saws on the box. I got them at Walmart. It was planted pretty good but with the flow of the filter and other things it has come up a little. I have some in another tank I purchased from a different store using the same lighting and it seems to be doing ok, so maybe it was the cold water kind. Thanks for the info! :)
Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #4 
shinybetta

I've noticed mine seem to die back after I buy them. After 1-2 weeks they seem to start growing very well.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #5 
Missy2280

Thanks, I hope mine comes back I really like how it looks.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #6 
Missy2280

I was just taking a closer look at it and the stalks are nice bright green it looks like just the leaves are dying....hmmmmm
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #7 
shinybetta

Depending on the light and substrate anacharis grows different looking leaves. Now that you changed lighting, substrate, etc.... It has to kill off the old leaves then regrow new leaves that are suitable for your aquarium.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #8 
baylee767

Okay let me explain a bit from what I've learned.

For a few weeks after being brought to a new envirement plants will rot as they adjust, then eventually get green again. This happens with all plants ('m pretty sure) Anarchis seems to be the quickest to fall to rotting for me.

Another problem is that incasdescent bulb. Plants need flouescents, and roughly 1-2 watts per gallon I'd say for Anarchis. The kelvin rating also should be at 6500+ k's. The swirly bulbs work great and they sell miniature sized ones (I use those!)
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #9 
Missy2280

Would they sell the swirly bulbs at Walmart?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2280 View Post
Would they sell the swirly bulbs at Walmart?
Not sure what this is.....a plant or light bulb...if light bulb...yes, I have bought them at wal mart...I usually get them in the light bulb section and not the aquarium section...if you are referring to a plant...not sure...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote