Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #1 
Roomersschic

New First Male Betta

I just got a new betta after years of not having one. He's my first male, my first betta was a feisty female. I just bought him a small bowl for now since he was an impulse buy at PetSmart. (I shouldn't be allowed to go there alone) Yesterday and today he was a little sickly looking. I moved him to my nightstand next to my bed and he's a lot more active its warmer than where I had him before also. Now he's all hyper swimming at me like an attack fish. I tried to get him to puff up with a mirror and he didn't react he just liked looking at himself in the mirror. He likes to lay on his rocks and itch his belly also. He was the nicest male betta at PetSmart. His tail is super long I've never seen one so long.

I named him Prince it just seemed fitting since now that I own him, he is going to be so spoiled like a prince. He's in my picture. Sorry I'll get better pictures this was taken with my phone so not the nicest quality. What does everyone think?
Roomersschic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #2 
Nutt007

He's a nice fish, but Bettas need 2 gallons or more. He will be much happier if you upgraded his tank to a 2.5 or larger. :)
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #3 
Buttercup

That's strange because I was told that a 1 gallon tank was fine but not as preferred over the 2.5 gallon from my friend on this site. She said that her source was someone else on this forum. I don't have money at the moment for two new 2.5 gallon tanks. My Bettas will have to live in a 1 gallon tank. Of course they're in two seperate 1 gallon tanks.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
That's strange because I was told that a 1 gallon tank was fine but not as preferred over the 2.5 gallon from my friend on this site. She said that her source was someone else on this forum. I don't have money at the moment for two new 2.5 gallon tanks. My Bettas will have to live in a 1 gallon tank. Of course they're in two seperate 1 gallon tanks.
A lot of people on here will full out attack you about a 1 gal tank size (they can be jerks, fersher :/) but honestly, if you care about your betta and clean your tank well and do frequent water changes, I think they can live a happy life.
Mine lives in a 1.5 gal but had a 1 gal critter carrier for a while (I didnt have the moeny at the time for anything else), and he was fine.
While a 2+ gal is best and great, it isnt horrible to keep them in a 1+ as long as it is VERY clean and frequently changed. Dont let them scare you if you know, truly, that you're doing a good job and are keeping it nice.
(I got hell for a 1.5 for the longest time. People kept telling me I was "awful". Not everyone can afford a big tank, but when there's a caring owner, I think its fine :/// )
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #5 
Jupiter

I personally prefer 2.5 gallon tanks, and so do a lot of members here, but I think a 1 gallon is fine so long as you're willing to change the water regularly. I know, some members here have become a bit...aggressive with the way they post, it's a bit odd to me since the forum used to seem a lot more inviting.

@OP: Welcome to the forum! He's a nice betta. The fact that he's laying around and 'itching' himself on the gravel does worry me a bit though.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #6 
Buttercup

I honestly don't care if people bash me for having a 1 gallon tank as long as I know that it's ok for a single betta to be in one. I'm very good with cleaning their tank (100% every other day) so they should be fine. I want to keep them happy because when I can't see my horse they're the only other amusement I have.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #7 
Roomersschic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I personally prefer 2.5 gallon tanks, and so do a lot of members here, but I think a 1 gallon is fine so long as you're willing to change the water regularly. I know, some members here have become a bit...aggressive with the way they post, it's a bit odd to me since the forum used to seem a lot more inviting.

@OP: Welcome to the forum! He's a nice betta. The fact that he's laying around and 'itching' himself on the gravel does worry me a bit though.
He hasn't itched for a day or so. I bought him a new safer plant and he loves swimming through it. As for everyone I am buying him a bigger tank soon I just didn't have the money at the time. He is much happier than he was in the cup he came in.
Roomersschic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #8 
Nutt007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomersschic View Post
He hasn't itched for a day or so. I bought him a new safer plant and he loves swimming through it. As for everyone I am buying him a bigger tank soon I just didn't have the money at the time. He is much happier than he was in the cup he came in.
That's good. I cant wait to see more pictures!
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #9 
dragonfair

He looks very handsome. Can't wait to see more pics!
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

Yeah! Moar picciers! :B
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote