Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #1 
PinkPigletBettaNewbie

Male Needs a few friends. Males or females?

I just got my betta fish yesterday. he is a male. He is also in a fairly roomy tank, and i want to get more. I was thinking about maybe 3 or 4 new friends added. But with all the hype over their vishiousness, im affraid what gendres should go in. What gendres should go in?
PinkPigletBettaNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #2 
SimplyPeaChe

Neather. Two males will kill eachother and the he will eather kill a female, or she will kill him.
SimplyPeaChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #3 
eclover09

First, how big exactly is the tank, and second do you mean get more bettas or get different kind of fish? You need at least a ten gallon to get a school of other fish. If you mean other bettas, you can't put males ever together period. I've only heard of one member who has males together, and there like in a 55 or more gallon tank. Also, I'm not quite sure about putting a male with females. Ive heard about it, but not quite sure how it's done but it would most likely take someone with quite a bit of experience with betta's to pull it off properly.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

NOT MORE THAN 1 BETTA PER TANK. Unless you have dividers, but you should try having one and take care of that one before you think about getting others.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

My recommendation, and I truly dont mean to be rude- So dont take it badly- is that if you indeed didnt know that males cant be housed with females/males, you should hold off on getting anything else and do more research about the breed before going ahead with anything.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
My recommendation, and I truly dont mean to be rude- So dont take it badly- is that if you indeed didnt know that males cant be housed with females/males, you should hold off on getting anything else and do more research about the breed before going ahead with anything.
I completely agree! Knowing that males and females should not be housed, is the most basic knowledge of being a betta keeper. Im sorry but this should not be a hobby for you YET until you do some sort of research. This is should be natural to research before you even consider getting any pet at all. Please for the sake of the fish, research first.

Also if you need anything, you can PM me with any questions or concerns. I could help you out with setting up a PROPER tank and what signs to look for when choosing a new betta, and more.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

^^^ +shwanmillion!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #8 
baylee767

How big is the tank? What other fish species do you mean? Is the tank cycled? How often do you do waterchanges?

I have a hunch that this Betta is in a 1/2 - 3 gal >.>

But I can't be certain. No other fish in anything under 10 gallons. No other Bettas. PERIOD.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #9 
Duncan13

^^^ Agreed!
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #10 
Dragonlady

In general, it is really a very bad idea to keep more than one male betta in a tank. Why don't you fill in the extra space in the tank with some nice live plants? Your betta will love you for it. The exception to this rule of keeping morethan one betta together is if you breed bettas and have a tank of juvenile siblings that have never lived alone. Even then, most males may eventually need their own tank. Once a male betta has been kept away from other bettas, the male should always be kept away from other bettas unless you plan to breed him.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding fish, compatibility, new betta, new serority, serority