Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #1 
c4talys7

Wink Habitate advice on a buget?

I am hoping to get another Betta this weekend. I took my first one to Oregon and had to leave him there to go back to school (I'm in Hawaii). He was very sick and as to my knowledge still won't eat (It's been about 6 weeks). I have done everything I could for him so I'm just going to let him live out the rest of his life as comfortable as I can instruct from the islands.

Anyways, I want to avoid having an ill Betta. There is a 20gal limit for my dorm and I'm at least getting a 10gal and dividing it for my roommate's Betta (It's in hardly a 1/2gal and I feel bad for him). I want him to have a nice tank so he'll be happy and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to put in it that can fit a college budget. I have about $100 that I'm willing to spend (including the fish itself).

I don't want this fish to end up being unhealthy. So any advice or habitat advice would be great. Like should I use salt and conditioner? Things like that.

Also, I suspect my roommate's fish has some fin rot... Would he still be okay to be in a divided tank? She does not clean the small bowl everyday and is only using AquaSafe for the water and not really treating him. Despite him only being like a $10 fish I feel kinda bad that he is in that condition.

But yeah, any ideas? I want to keep my Betta as healthy as possible. Having a sick Betta is a tad depressing.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #2 
c4talys7

Also, if anyone has an estimate on how much a healthy tank costs (like plants, filtration, heater, ect) that would be awesome too!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #3 
Malvolti

Unfortunately prices vary based on country and state. I'll try to give a break down based on my recent setting up of a divided 10 but my prices are in CAD not USD and being on the islands I suspect you'll see higher prices from the need to ship everthing out there.

10 gallon Tank Kit (Tank, filter, hood, incandecent bulbs) $45 @ Wal-Mart
1 Heater $20 @ PetsMart
1 Thermometer $5 @ Petsmart
2 cave/decorations $6 each @PetsMart $12
1 Bag of Gravel 10$ @ PetsMart
1 Divider (Home made) $6
1 Water Conditioner $6
1 Betta $6 @ Pet Store
1 Fish Food $5 @ Pet Store
Total $115
Optional:
6 Assorted Plants $6 each @ various stores $36
2 Betta Logs $15 @ LFS $30
Many Tank mates $50
Frozen food $10 @ PetsMart
Tank Sealant $10 @ PetsMart
Grand Total $251
Some things I got on sale, the biggest one is the tank. That will be at least 1/2 your budget but if you get a kit it will save you having to buy a filter and hood. I strongly recommend watching for sales. A cheaper option might be to buy the 10 gallon tank, get some lexan for a hood and then figure something out for a lamp and filter. Filters can easily cost $20 for a cheap 10 gallon filter.

I also didn't include medications which can easily add $30-$50

My home made divider is 2 pieces of plastic craft canvas and 4 report cover bindings for stability. I used Tank sealant to glue it in for some added stability.

Last edited by Malvolti; 01-12-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Oops, forgot a thing or 2
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #4 
Kiku

Personally my 10 gallon tank cost 25 dollars (it was on mega sale *laughs*) so I don't know if you'll be as lucky. Good betta conditioner (which is essential!) usually runs about 6 dollars. Then there's food, plants (if you want them), gravel, anything else you want/need. I'd invest in a good gravel vacuum (about 8 dollars or so). 100 dollars seem like a reasonable budget (but around here bettas cost about 3 dollars, so I'm not sure)
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #5 
c4talys7

Yeah, if I don't do a kit I found the actual tank part at walmart for about $16. Would it be safe to house both of them together in a divided regardless of the fin rot? For the filtration I can't just plug it in the wall a stick it in. I pry have to cycle it?

Sorry for all these questions...
Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #6 
Kiku

No! Questions are fantastic. Helps me learn too *lol*
I'm not a pro so I'm not sure about the fin rot (I don't think it's contagious). I would recommend doing a shrimp cycle before adding the fish, and I heard that adding a product called "stress zyme" can cut down the cycling time by several weeks (that is still debated by people, but some people swear by it).
Old 01-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #7 
c4talys7

Ok, I will see the prices for the filters. To have live plants do you need a cycled tank? or will a tank without a filtration be okay?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #8 
Malvolti

You don't HAVE to cycle it or filter it. If you have a filter or aeration it will do it itself. You will need a filter or aerator if you want to cycle. If you don't cycle or filter you will need to do more weekly water changes.

You will also need a hood to keep the fish from jumping out or keep the tank only about 1/2 full. If you get plants you will also most likely need a light.

If one is sick don't put them together until it is cured or the rot will spread to the other.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #9 
Kiku

It's been said that if you have LOTS of plants, you don't even need to cycle. But I don't know very much about that, so I'd take a closer look here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #10 
c4talys7

Ok, I think I am confused. I thought filtration was cycling? I don't mind doing changes it gives me a great break from school to do it and I just love rearranging everything! So say I get one of those Tetra Whisper filter things and just stick it in there and plug it in? What will it do? (I might cycle the tank later on though. Not quite sure what it does...)