Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 AM   #11 
Kiku

Cycling the tank is when you build up beneficial bacteria in the tank that helps keep it healthy. Filtering is just....filtering *laughs*
And yeah, just get a filter and plug it in =) if it doesn't have a "low" setting, you'll need to baffle the water...you can find out how to do that here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #12 
c4talys7

Ok, so just putting it in there doesn't really do anything unless you cycle the whole thing. I'll pry get on later on if I want to try cycling it then. I do want to get live plants, the plastic ones aren't as interesting.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #13 
c4talys7

Thank you for the links by the way!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #14 
Kiku

Of course, no problem! And cycling is optional, but if you have the time it's a good idea =) a filter is good even if you don't cycle because it helps reduce ammonia and keep the water clean
Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #15 
c4talys7

Mmk, because I'll be here for about 4 months and then be taking the new fish back with me for Summer and then I'll continue going to school back in Oregon so I'll have time to cycle there. Thank you for your help! I think I'll just get a filter and some live plants when I get my fish. Hopefully he will not get sick. I can't wait!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 AM   #16 
Kiku

I wish you the best of luck!! The important thing is that you care, and you obviously do. In my opinion that's the most important thing. Hope it goes great =)
Old 01-13-2011, 12:57 AM   #17 
c4talys7

Oh one more question. How often would you say I would need to do a 100% water change with a filtered tank with live plants? You just take the plants out and they'll be okay?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #18 
Jupiter

If you're cycling the tank, you won't need to do 100% changes. That's the great thing about it, the water quality is much more stable. Once your tank is cycled, for a 10 gallon tank one 25% change weekly is all that you need to do. :)

BTW, cheap decorating solutions from one student to another-terra cotta pots from Walmart make great caves and are less than a dollar each. If you want to use fake plants (though it seems like you want to do live), silk plants from a craft store like Michael's or a dollar store are MUCH cheaper than the petstore variety-just be sure that it doesn't have exposed wire, isn't perfumed, glittery, or anything like that.

Dividers will cost you less than $5 if you make it yourself.

Last edited by Jupiter; 01-13-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #19 
Alex09

Just to clear something up… if you have a filter the tank WILL cycle. Cycling is something that happens on it's own… a byproduct of having a filter. You don't need to do anything special. It will happen on its own. People here make it sound much more complicated than it really is.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #20 
Kiku

While I agree it happens on it's own, it can be unstable and at times frightening...there can be spikes of ammonia that don't make much sense and other hassles =( fish-in cycles just never seem preferable to me