Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #11 
Biomess

Thanks LBF, I'm glad your guy got better! Yeah I've got him in the salt treatment with 100% daily changes, but my guy floats with his mouth at the surface rather than sitting on the bottom. But he does swim around in his quarantine and tries to dart at a neon tetra in the tank he is floating in.
So, *fingers crossed* too.
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Fish are so good at worrying us! And I swear the first five symptoms of every disease you look up are always the same so you don't know what is wrong with the poor thing. If he doesn't get any better, and you have a good LFS nearby, you might be able to find out if they or anyone else does scrapings to check for parasites and such.

When my boy was sick mum went down to the LFS and the man told her if the salt baths didn't help him improve, he was able to test for parasites under the microscope they had there to rule out things like gill flukes. Fortunately, it didn't get to that point, but maybe somewhere near you could do something similar.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #13 
Biomess

Well my baby died this morning, he hadn't eaten but once since this all started so maybe he got too weak or he just gave up and drowned...
right now I'm in tears, I loved this little guy he was so beautiful and extremely aggressive, he would flare at anything and everything.
Name:  DSC00621.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  99.0 KB
Old 01-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #14 
Littlebittyfish

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful fish.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

I'm so sorry, I was really hoping he'd pull through for you. It's a horrible feeling losing a fish, but at least he had an owner who really cared.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #16 
Biomess

Thanks a lot, I felt so terrible, I'd only had him a month but I got so attached to him especially when taking care of him in quarantine, he looked so depressed.

In case you were wondering about the tears, I'm a girl, I'm allowed to cry right? Thanks for trying to help him too.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Biomess, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a pet that we love so much so if you feel like crying, go ahead. "hugs"
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #18 
Biomess

Thank you DQ, it is very hard and I only had him for a month. Also, we had to put down our 16 year old cat today, she had the best personality and let you know what she wanted when she wanted it, or if she had enough. She was a very smart cat.
I went to Petsmart today and found myself hesitating on buying another little guy. I found two that were interesting and looked very depressed in their cups, but I am not sure if I am ready to replace him yet.
I might head back out there in a couple of days, if they are still there, I might just rescue them. Why should they suffer in those filthy cups because I'm still longing for my Indigo...
Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, I'm so sorry about your kitty! That is so sad. If you don't want to buy another betta from a petstore, we have several breeders here who might have some for sale.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #20 
LuvMyBettas12

My Crowntail has had the same problem, it just started today, I just got him a brand new tank yesterday, he was in not quite a 1 gallon vase so I got him a 2 gallon tank. Today he didn't really eat this morning, I offered pellets first and when he didn't take those I removed them and put a tiny bit of flakes in. He ate one of the flakes but has spent the rest of the day, mostly at the top of his tank, gills constantly moving and looks to be gasping for air, Sitting in one spot and barley moving, and went down and around for a swim a couple times but ran back up for air. Now he's just been at the top of the tank all day. I'm freaked out! was this overfeeding? Should I try the Epsom salt treatment as well? I have 4 bettas in total and my other 3 are fine. 3 of the 4 got bigger tanks yesterday and only the crowntail seems to be having issues today. I used the same water, water conditioner and aquarium salt mixture for all 4 as always..
LuvMyBettas12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, breath, gasping, gills