Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #1 
bahamut285

Let's try to do this right

Hello Everybody, long time no post

Some of you may know that I was very broken up over my first Betta (Shimmoo) dying after 10 short days.

However the New Year is here and I want to do this right, in his memory.

I threw my "cursed" tank away and I now have a Marina Style 5. It's 5 Gallons, it's got a Slim 10 filter, I've got a 50 watt Stealth heater, hood and lights. I'm also still using my Top Fin Tap Water Dechlorinator and Shimmoo's favourite plant (soaked and washed in hot water dried in direct sunlight). The tank kit also came with teeny bottles of Nutrafin Cycle and Nutrafin Aqua+

I haven't bought a new fish yet, because I ordered some plants online (actually close to a month ago, hmm) and they have not arrived and I was away for the holidays. I'm considering on scouring Petsmart for a bright red male betta and naming him HongBo, which is Cantonese for "Red Treasure".

So my questions to all of you is:
1. Am I doing anything wrong so far?
2. I haven't purchased any gravel yet, what do you think would be the best colour gravel to bring out his red colour? (Some people on here say black gravel makes things look brighter by comparison?)
3. Do Betta's get really stressed out from too much fiddling with stuff in the tank while they're in there? (other than cleaning and water changes)
4. Recommendations for caves (the ones at Petsmart seem too pointy/sharp and also expensive)

Thank you so much and I hope you all had a great New Year and Holiday :)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 AM   #2 
Jupiter

1. So far, so good!
2. Black would be good. Green is actually the contrasting colour to red, so you might want to try green gravel-or maybe a bit of green mixed into black gravel.
3. Well, I'd imagine so. Each betta's different, of course. Some get stressed, others want to attack your hand. Still, I imagine a lot of constant tinkering would stress them out.
4. There are some pretty nice caves from Petsmart. I have both a rock-type cave and a pagoda type decoration that have proven to be quite popular with my fish. There's also always terra cotta pots, which are inexpensive...

Do you have a Big Al's where you live? They've also got some nice decor, although it's a bit pricey there imo.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

I agree on the black gravel - black back ground would be nice too (I just use poster board & cut it to size - SUPER cheap!).

Try not to futz with the tank TOO much - especially in the beginning when the move itself will be stress enough.

A small brand new terra cotta pot works well for a cave. Just make sure you either plug the drain hole in the bottom or knock out the bottom & sand the edges smooth (super soft - sands easily). Don't want any little betta heads getting stuck!

Where in the heck did you order plants from that it's taking a month??? If it were me, I would probably refuse delivery. Let the seller know you are going to do that because of the time & request a refund.

Best of luck to ya! :)

Last edited by Lion Mom; 01-13-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #4 
bahamut285

@Jupiter: Yeah I've inspected the majority of the decorations at Petsmart, either they're not my thing or they're really sharp (or ridiculously overpriced). I live in Hamilton, Ontario for University, and Hamilton is...not exactly the pearl of Ontario, hahaha. The stock on the Petsmart WEBSITE looks like some sort of heaven compared to my actual Petsmart. It takes ages to get any stock of anything that isn't dog or cat related :(...

The closest BigAl's to me is all the way up in Toronto...it's a bit far for me to go there, even if I did go to visit my Grandma XD...I remember going there when I lived closer, I love that place >_<

@Lion Mom: The black background is a good idea! I never thought of that, now I can hide the ugly cables XD. I am considering going to find a terracotta pot, I looked at some pictures of other people's tanks and they look adorable :)

As for the plants, it is from sourcingmap.com and it's shipped from HK/China. I read the reviews and a lot of people say that it takes a month (instead of the 7-15 days advertised) but considering the price I paid, if it doesn't arrive soon I will get a refund for sure. I would have bought somewhere else, but there aren't many websites that ship to Canada without charging outlandish prices. At this website I purchased 3 silk plants for a total of $16 including the shipping.... I would have to pay that much at Petsmart for ONE.

I hope they arrive soon~ >_<
Old 01-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Oh - SILK plants!!! Ok then - I thought you had ordered live plants and month in transit would most likely be a killer (literally), IMO.

YUP - a back ground REALLY helps hide cables, wires, etc. & for the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody would want to go without one!!!! AND it helps add "depth" to a tank. The black REALLY makes colors "pop", IMO/E, but since poster board comes in a TON of different colors and it's so cheap, it would be easy to change the color of a back ground whenever you choose! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #6 
Jupiter

I know how you feel about the "pearl of Ontario" thing. I go to Ottawa for school, but I'm from Windsor.

I know, Petsmart and other petstores are ridiculously expensive when it comes to buying fake plants...which is why I get most of mine from Michael's or the dollar store, lol.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #7 
bahamut285

@Jupiter: I WOULD go to Michael's too, but for some reason our Michael's is really expensive >_>

---------

So a new update, when I went to get some gravel, I saw a betta in a fairly clean cup so I took him home. I put him in a 1G QT tank while I let the gravel cycle for 3 days (I used NutrafinCycle and followed the instructions). HongBo really likes his new tank, he's been exploring very actively all day. :)

I just had a quick question about his behaviour, sometimes he'll suddenly start swimming very energetically as if he's trying to swim through the glass. Is he just really excited? @.@