Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #1 
Bcontos

Unhappy Medication making the fish sicker?? Should I stop.

Wondering if I should add the charcoal back to the filter and stop medicating since Sparkles seems to be getting worse not better with the meds???!!!!

The DETAILS

Noticed fish had what looked like a hole in his skin between his eyes. He has also become a little less active... but was still making large bubble nests. Also, his grey patches were back on the bottom of his head and near his gills= they never seem to go all the way away but can get very small.

Did 90% water change, new filter without charcoal - added jungle fungus and fishicilin.
NOW he is alternately laying on the bottom of the tank or laying on part of the filter -- he is eating a bit -- having serious trouble swimming, fins clamped shut. Very unhappy, sick guy.

Just did another 50-60% water change just now with salt and prime and added more jungle fungus.

WORRIED - the medicine is making things worse not better....

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75-82
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? just waterfall from filter
Is your tank heated? Yes- two heaters in winter; one in summer
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and sometimes dehydrated blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day but may have gotten more since trying to teach son how to take care of fish

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? used to change weekly then moved to 2/3 weeks max
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 80-90
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and aquarium salt and sometimes Bettazing

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? medicine in water so not recently but have tested and PH has always been good

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? YES
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? YES
When did you start noticing the symptoms? week or two ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Fungus eliminator for one week and fishcilin and he seems much worse then before I started meds
Does your fish have any history of being ill? YES- When we first got Sparkles - we only had a one gallon tank with no heater or filter. Didn't know what I was doing and the pet store was little help so did the leaving the water out overnight and then changed it. THink I shocked the little guy - lucky he didn't die then. But figured things out - got him a 5 gallon tank with filter and heater which he has been in for about 9 months. But he does seem to get the grey coating a lot. It will clear up for a while and then come back. But he has generally seemed happy from a behavior stand point. BIg bubble nests.
How old is your fish (approximately)? We have had him for one year and three months.
Bcontos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems....

I don't use any of the OTC medications so I honestly can say if this is a normal reaction to the medication-it is important to complete the medication course, however, when they have a bad reaction I would say-start making water changes-add a new carbon filter and get it out and if he seem to perk up then it was the medication....but again I can't say that what you are seeing is normal or not....but I wouldn't think it is.....

Post a clear pic of his problem and maybe we can come up with a better treatment plan that he will tolerate better......

Good luck and I hope he pulls through this.....sorry I couldn't be of more help...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #3 
Bcontos

Unhappy ok thank you

Thanks -- he was perky this morning but now he is just laying on the bottom of the tank breathing hard. When I turned on his light he just moved to behind the filter. Ate a little this morning but not this evening. I will do a water change and add the charcoal back in the filter.
Thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #4 
baylee767

Just wanted to tell you in case you didn't know, I think that's a bacterial infection, one sign of it is holes in the head. Sorry that's all I can lend.

Here's a quote from this page regarding sypmtoms.

"Betta may have clamped fins, lay at bottom or at surface, not eat, lose its color, turn gray, barely swim around. In more advanced cases, its body may start developing red patches, open sores and all kinds of nasty looking stuff. (Even holes in its head!! YIKES!!) Different bacteria affect fish differently. Some will attack the internal organs while others prefer to munch on the skin."

Now that I think about it... here's a quote from that page about treatment:

Do a full water change for jars or a 70% water change for tanks. (To get rid of some of the bacteria present). Clean filter, change filtering system, remove any uneaten food rotting, or any dead fish!!! Isolate any bettas with symptoms if in a community tank.
You should also treat the whole tank. There is a wide variety of antibiotics available for fish. REMEMBER: Remove carbon from your filters before you add the meds!! The carbon would otherwise absorb all the medication and you would be flushing your money down the tube. Oh, and did I mention money?? Yes, brace yourself, cause your little fishies are gonna cost you a bundle, fish antibiotics can get pretty darn expensive - just as people's antibiotics are, as you well know!!

DEFINATLY sounds like bacterial infection...

Last edited by baylee767; 01-16-2011 at 12:48 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #5 
Bcontos

Unhappy Still kicking

Well- we thought we lost him yesterday. Couldn't get him to move for a while then suddenly he was swimming a little So I put the carbon back in the filter, changed his water again (about 70%) and kept it lower to keep the temp up. He is still hanging in there and is definitely better than yesterday morning but still struggling.

Now I am hesitant to put medication back in because he seems to feel better without it. Maybe the jungle fungus with the antibiotic was too much.

These are definitely his symptoms...Betta may have clamped fins, lay at bottom or at surface, not eat, lose its color, turn gray, barely swim around. In more advanced cases, its body may start developing red patches, open sores and all kinds of nasty looking stuff. (Even holes in its head!! YIKES!!).

Except he started with the hole thing in his head before the other ones kicked in...

I have fish antibiotics (fishcillin) already...do you guys think I should try that again without the jungle fungus?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #6 
Bcontos

Took out filter and am trying tetracycline... keep your fingers crossed! Thank you
Old 01-17-2011, 04:30 AM   #7 
Bcontos

Here is a picture of Sparkles but it is difficult to see from it what is going on but again- his symptoms definitely match a bacterial infection.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2011, 04:36 AM   #8 
Bcontos

Better photo

This one is a better shot - you can see clamped fins, grey patches on his underside, the yellow spot where his skin is missing and the fact he is hanging on the bottom.

Thanks again for your support!
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #9 
Bcontos

Well - Sparkles is doing very well. A few weeks of the antibiotics, no filter, kept the temp up and he seems to have recovered well. Been making giant bubble nests :-0 Stopping antibiotics today with water change...put in salt and two drops of betta zing.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad he's doing better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
less medicine