Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 01:48 AM   #1 
tsoto80

Walmart at it again

A few days ago when I was at walmart I wanted to see how the bettas there were doing. To no suprise the water in two of the cups were DISGUSTING!!!! The water was so brown and thick I couldnt even see the betta that was in there. Not only that there was a dead earth worm at the bottom of one of the cups. I do not know what possosed me to open the lid to smell the water, but I almost threw up from the.....god awful putrid smell (no lie) it stayed in my nose for like ten minutes! They had some nerve putting up a big sign saying not to stack the cups. I plan on going grocery shopping in the morning and I already plan on making a sign reading "What you are doing to these bettas is animal abuse. Please keep the water clean." Should I add anything or just call and make a complaint? I feel it would be better to make a sign so the public can see but it would probley get taken down.
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #2 
Luimeril

i say, make the sign, then go to the walmart website and file a complaint. tell them what you saw today(don't mention you're the one who made the sign), and tell them that you're very disappointed in what you saw. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #3 
Buttercup

I agree with the person above me. Make the sign and file the complaint to Wal-Mart but be sure to keep the secret that the sign was made by you. It may seem stupid but Wal-Mart may get mad at you for speaking the truth about filthy water and dead worms on the bottom of the containers. I'm suprised that they get mad at you when you change the water yourself down here.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #4 
elijahfeathers

I'm prety surprised at the walmart near me. I've never been in one what actually did a good job of keeping their fish in decent conditions. The one I live by though has bigger-than-normal cups, a 90% of the time I'm there they've got enough water and the cups are very clean. I've seen a few pellets left floating after feeding time, and of course the bettas don't seem to be doing well in the chilly little cups. But it's still really nice to see the water being kept nice and clean and everything. And the fish overall are pretty active and healthy looking for walmart fishes.

I saw a veiltail there who's colors were super washed out-- but he looked to be dark blue with yellow fins. *grabbyhands*
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #5 
amandag3001

The last 2 weeks, everytime I'm at Walmart (which is way more than I would like :}) they have had NO betta's. I wonder if it's because it's really cold out (it's been in the teen's for 2 weeks) Or if people just aren't buying them anymore....
amandag3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #6 
Luimeril

i'm surprised my post didn't have massive typos. lol i typed it at four am, and didn't have my glasses on. >w>

elijahfeathers, go grabby him, if your walmart's doing good. then, type a letter praising them for how good their bettas look, compared to some you've seen. i would. Xd

i got my walmart to stop selling bettas(well. >.>; i dunno if it was just me, or a combination of others + me, but it boosts my tiny ego to say me. xD). they haven't sold fish in over ten years, then one day i went with my niece, and were shocked to see dozens of little cups on the shelves. i checked them all over, saw many were gross and nasty, then was stumped when i saw an empty cup. i set said cup aside, re-arranged the bettas so all could be seen, then ran to tell my mom. xD when me and my niece got mom to follow us, we saw more betta cups. i checked them over, saw how nasty they, too, were, then was horrified to see a cup with a CT, and another betta! i went over to the empty cup, grabbed it, sat my behind on the floor in the middle of the isle, opened the lids, and scooped out the poor "loser", plopping him into the extra cup(which was probably his to start with). i was flat broke that day, otherwise i would have gotten him and a one-gallon tank, and wrote a stern letter. instead, i went home, got online, and wrote a long e-mail to the manager, telling him about what i saw and how horrified i was. >.>; he called a few days later, and apologized, and said they'd improve, and they did. for a few weeks. i went back, abotu a month later, and saw only three bettas, and they were pretty bad. :< my heart tugged one way, my brain the other, and my brain won. i went home, and wrote another letter. the manager again called, apologizing, and said that he wasn't gonna order any more bettas, and they haven't had any since.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #7 
Buttercup

I visited Meijer an hour ago and couldn't pass the fish section until I saw how the Bettas were cared for. I was shocked when I found that the bettas were in sparkly clean water and in a bigger cup than normal. I decided to buy one too. He's an emerald green color. I plan on writing a very delightful letter about the care they put into the fish section. Last time I went to Meijer the Bettas were ill cared for. I'm glad I've seen an improvement.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #8 
lilchiwolf

The Mijers by my house does well when the bettas first come in, but them after that they let their cups get really nasty. I almost saved this VT last night that was red with super long black fins, but the $ I had was for fungus meds and I would have nowhere to place me :/. I hope he finds a good home. I might go back there and grab him this weekend if he is still around.

I have a nack for going through and cleaning out dirty cups at stores. I have only been yelled at once. :P
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #9 
Buttercup

I don't know why they get mad at your for cleaning the Betta containers out. That's one less thing that the workers have to do. Plus you do it without any pay. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

When )not if, Walmart is awful) I go right up to the fish care person, tell them I need their manager *right now*, get the manager, and tell (not ask) that they clean the water. I tell them how grotesque it is and say I will not leave and will discontinue my patronage from the store (though wouldnt..) if my request isnt met.
They usually do it. Ive done it at Petsmart,too, which they werent pleased about, they had literally 25-30 cups to do, but they did them >:P
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote