Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #11 
Luimeril

i was sorta forced to leave my lps one day. >.>; it was funny. xD i went in for a new Kritter Keeper for my bettas. decided to walk through, like i always do. look at the feeshies, pook pook at the goldfish and Koi. sadly, i didn't get to. :/ there was at least one dead fish in every tank. the goldies were horrid. i started protesting about it loudly. a lady was buying feeder goldies, and looked over her baggie of them carefully. >w> the guy in charge of the fish was getting angry. xD when i looked at the bettas, i was disgusted. :O the cups were nasty, some looked ill, the one i ended up going home with was covered in what i thought was columnaris, but it turned out to be fuzzy mold from his gross cup. he said i could have him if i left. >.>: i left with Zidane, and called the manager the next day. never saw that guy there again..... >3> wonder why....? lol
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #12 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i'm surprised my post didn't have massive typos. lol i typed it at four am, and didn't have my glasses on. >w>

elijahfeathers, go grabby him, if your walmart's doing good. then, type a letter praising them for how good their bettas look, compared to some you've seen. i would. Xd

i got my walmart to stop selling bettas(well. >.>; i dunno if it was just me, or a combination of others + me, but it boosts my tiny ego to say me. xD). they haven't sold fish in over ten years, then one day i went with my niece, and were shocked to see dozens of little cups on the shelves. i checked them all over, saw many were gross and nasty, then was stumped when i saw an empty cup. i set said cup aside, re-arranged the bettas so all could be seen, then ran to tell my mom. xD when me and my niece got mom to follow us, we saw more betta cups. i checked them over, saw how nasty they, too, were, then was horrified to see a cup with a CT, and another betta! i went over to the empty cup, grabbed it, sat my behind on the floor in the middle of the isle, opened the lids, and scooped out the poor "loser", plopping him into the extra cup(which was probably his to start with). i was flat broke that day, otherwise i would have gotten him and a one-gallon tank, and wrote a stern letter. instead, i went home, got online, and wrote a long e-mail to the manager, telling him about what i saw and how horrified i was. >.>; he called a few days later, and apologized, and said they'd improve, and they did. for a few weeks. i went back, abotu a month later, and saw only three bettas, and they were pretty bad. :< my heart tugged one way, my brain the other, and my brain won. i went home, and wrote another letter. the manager again called, apologizing, and said that he wasn't gonna order any more bettas, and they haven't had any since.
This really shows how one person can make a difference. You've probably saved hundreds, if not thousands, of Bettas.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #13 
Luimeril

thanks. i feel horrid about the beaten up fella. i hope he didn't die on the shelf. :< i hope someone who knew their stuff took him home and made him all better, and is pampering him. considering where i'm at, and what the boys at the pet store go through, my chances of that wish coming true are so slim. D:
Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #14 
Buttercup

In the last state I was in I was looking around and about almost threw up when I saw how the fish were cared for. I started to clean out the Bettas and almost had every one cleaned when the stupid manager walked by and saw me. He kicked me out of the store for a few weeks. I just told him that it was fine because I don't live in that state anyway. Then I got my parents to call and...well...the conversation wasn't very pleasent. Lets just say that my parents won the argument.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #15 
DormDrax

Wow...
Now I feel slightly better about the betta's at my nearby PetSmart... their water is always clean looking... still depressing but at least the water is clean.
I mean whats the longest it would take to change the water for all of them? Maybe an HOUR at most? Heck if I worked there I'd do it! Seems like SUCH an easy job to do and still get paid to do!

I say make the sign! Then go in again with a small young (and loud) sibling and have them smell the water and go. "These people are hurting the fishies!" That should get the manager out hehe to order someone to clean the water. Thats what you have to do... get people to notice! Even non fish hobbyist's I'm sure if you got their attention would write complaints if they looked.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #16 
Aluyasha

My Walmart also treats their fish very badly. They even have the nerve to post a 'care sheet' in front of the Bettas stating that the tiny cups they are in are the perfect home, it states "they not only survive, they thrive in these cups". the sheet goes on to say that Bettas in the wild live in dirty water and they want you to keep their water somewhat dirty to "keep them happy".
I could not believe it when I saw it!
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #17 
Luimeril

i'd be the one to tear down said care sheet, and post one of my own. >.>;
Old 01-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #18 
Aluyasha

I try! But everytime I reach for it one of the employees walks past. Even though they are never really there...Maybe it has been ripped down too many times already and they are now on the lookout. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #19 
Shizuka Mori

That sign sounds like it needs some modifying. I'd be the one to do it right in front of the workers without caring if I got kicked out for it. Kicking me out would only mean that they'd lose my business and money. I bought Genji because his fins were so bad and his container was so filthy. I didn't leave until every last Betta was cleaned out. I also got the manager to get a clean container for Genji. Of course it made them mad but what can they do about it? They can't just start yelling at a 15 year old girl in the middle of a store. When I showed them Genji's fins I made them scared. I let them know that when a 15 year old girl is popular in school she can make them lose a ton of business because of their horrible care with Bettas. It made their minds come clean and realize that they need to keep the tanks clean. Now everytime I pass the aquarium section it's sparkling because it's so clean.
Shizuka Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #20 
Luimeril

i say do it anyways. :/ or, tape a sign over it. >.> scribble on it. they can't keep watch forever. xD