Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #1 
Jupiter

More on customs...

Sooo, to go into a bit of a background story: ever since my parents have seen how much personality an active, healthy betta has, they have really warmed up to them. My dad especially-he told me in the beginning that he didn't like bettas because they were 'boring and layed around at the bottom all the time', but of course his opinion has changed once he's seen mine. Now he's considering one of his own, but he doesn't want the typical red/blue VTs they sell at Petsmart.

We live in a pretty small city with two Petsmarts, and not much else. We don't have a nice Big Al's or something where I can find my dad a nice unique betta. However, we DO live close to Detroit, which means we can go to Petco...

Now, I'm pretty sure that bringing live animals across the border isn't allowed, but my dad insists that we could just hide it in my purse, lol.

So, my question to you guys is: has anyone had any experience with bringing fish across the border from America into Canada?

BTW, I went to Petco for the first time this week and it was awesome! I'm so jealous of you Americans, there was a lot of cool stuff there and the bettas were lovely. Plus, I finally got the betta bulbs that I wanted! Hid them in my purse on the way back and we had no problems, which is why I'm thinking that maaaybe I can get away with sneaking a betta.
Still, if I do get caught, it'd be a huge shame if anything happened to him, so I'm still pretty hesitant.

Though I just checked the Food Inspection Agency site and they seem to be fairly relaxed about it. Still, any experience would really hbe appreciated!

Last edited by Jupiter; 01-13-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #2 
JKfish

If you're driving, I don't see an issue, but flying is a whole other story. If you're going to be driving, I honestly don't see why you can't bring a live fish over the border... it's not like bettas are on the list of fish that can't cross certain borders, and if you buy him, he belongs to you.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

^True that. I live along the CanAm border (Plattsburgh and Oswego) and have had people ask this, but Ive never heard of issues or anything. Just sneak him ;D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Geez, really? That's good to hear. And here I was fretting over nothing, I guess.

Wish I had gotten that CT I had been eying then. I keep thinking about him now. Oh well, at least now I know. Thanks guys.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #5 
baylee767

Yeah, I remeber when I moved to Alaska I had to drive through Canada, and all that happened to get past the border was the driver had to show his/her I.D. It was so simple...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote