Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #1 
karenluvsbettas623

positive feedback for petstores that do a good job.

We all know that betta fish neglect in fish stores is a real problem. There are some stores that are literally a hell hole. Even though they are kept in cups, I still feel there is something to be done to keep them reasonably healthy. I went in the morning to a petco, all the employees just calmly lounging around, gossiping, joking, while the bettas are filthy- about 100 of them, fin rot, dead-rotting fish, dropsy, clamped fins, open sores, it was disgusting. Whenever they even swam, all the waste would stir up and it was gross. ALL OF THEM were like this. So I left, didn't buy anything, I went to petsmart. They only had about 50 bettas, all super clean and reasonably healthy. This store CONSISTENTLY keeps their bettas clean and does not overload on them. I also notice that when they only have a few left, they put them on sale and get rid of most before receiving the next batch. I decided it was just as important to send positive feedback as well as negative because it motivates the employees to do a good job, because we actually notice the difference.

I encourage everyone to send a positive email to corporate, to acknowledge a store that does a good job. Also, let the employees know if person that you appreciate it. Also choose to buy your supplies from these stores.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #2 
IndigoChild311

I really like this idea, my Petsmart is usually very clean and has a lot of healthy looking bettas.
IndigoChild311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #3 
tigerhappy26

My local petco is nicer than you said yours was because they had people in the fish department who had actually owned fish, a first for me!LOL.But he would ask questions about their tank and stuff and then bettas and other fish were 100% clean no sign of sickness in any of them.
tigerhappy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #4 
karenluvsbettas623

yes tigerhappy, I wasn't really trying to bash petco in general I know there are good and bad stores in every chain. Glad to hear there are other good stores out there.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #5 
BettaLover1313

My Pet Smart has it's ups and downs, somedays the bettas will be in pristine water, next week same day, they may not be. It really depends on who's working.

A local pet store that's not a large chain does an amazing job of keeping their fish healthy, not just the bettas! I really love the store (especially since they sell nice looking silk plants)!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #6 
GinjaHaZ

The closest Petco to me is 100 miles so I use PetSmart which is 30 miles either direction, and both of them take pretty good care of there bettas though the customer service really differs. I won't have an opinion on Petco until I move into my new apartment in August.
GinjaHaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #7 
Saber

I agree with this, but do not just tell the employees. Tell a manager, or even call the corporate office and mention the location of the store and how impressed you are.

Its sad that the quality can vary so much between different stores..If you have employees that don't give a damn, then that's what happens. I remember that the PetSmart in my old town where I used to live always had sick and dying bettas, and even their tropical fish were awful. I'd often see dead ones floating in the tanks. However, both the PetSmart and Petco here take pretty good care of their fish. Not perfect, but I rarely see dead or very sick fish.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote