Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #1 
tigerhappy26

Thumbs down A really ignorant person I saw...

Okay I was browsing a Betta fish group and some guy asked how can we tell if our betta (full grown) is a boy or girl...After many people saying he's a male the guy said I think i'm going to take him to the vet and get him gender checked. I think people who own a full grown betta and don't know the gender don't need a betta. Sorry for ranting it's just kind of bothered me because I research before I get a pet and put effort into them.
tigerhappy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #2 
Fenghuang

Well, identifying gender is not always cut and dry with a betta, even full grown. I wouldn't call people ignorant just because they don't know the gender of their pet.

But taking a betta to the vet to get it checked does seem a bit drastic.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 07-18-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #3 
Skyewillow

Some bettas aren't obvious for gender. I had a pretty ambiguous juvenile, and have a female in my sorority with manly fins (if I couldn't see her ovaries, I'd think she was a boy). Before you judge, consider the fact that he cared enough to ask, and pause to take a look around and see how many posts are on here asking what gender someone's fish is.

I will say that it's weird to take the fish to a vet to check, but again, if he cares enough to find a vet just to have his fish sexed, then he obviously cares about the fish to some degree.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #4 
xfrequentflyerx

This guy should not own a Betta fish. Ever! Agreeing with you entirely. And the fact that he mentioned going to a vet to get the fish "gender-checked" seems a bit extreme. But I also agree with Fenghuang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Well, identifying gender is not always cut and dry with a betta, even full grown. I wouldn't call people ignorant just because they don't know the gender of their pet.

But taking a betta to the vet to get it checked does seem a bit drastic.
It seems as though this guy needs to stop what he is doing and go research more about Bettas before he does choose to get one.
xfrequentflyerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #5 
Fenghuang

A person should not own a betta fish without knowing its gender? Isn't that a bit extreme? Does the same go for all fish? I still don't know the gender of my 10" inch pleco I had for years. Some fish's gender are just incredibly hard to tell. Even breeders with years of experience make mistakes sometimes.

Like, take this fish, for an example. Male or female at first glance?

She is a long finned female from Aquastar71. I mistook her for a male rosetail (which often have short fins than normal HM) at first, before someone pointed out that it said "FEMALE" in the auction listing. If she was a betta I found in a mislabeled cup at Petsmart instead on Aquabid, I would never have thought twice.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 07-18-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #6 
Skyewillow

to be blunt:
Gender is only important if you're
A) Breeding
B) trying to have a sorority.

If you just have a single betta, or lots of bettas housed singly, gender is irrelevant.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #7 
xfrequentflyerx

Still agreeing with Fenghuang! It can be hard to tell if a betta is male or female. But the guy still should be careful with what he says. It may actually be a male, and he is overreacting. You never know!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #8 
NeptunesMom

The Women's and Gender Studies teacher has to point out that you are talking about sex, not gender. Sex is the biological attributes that have been identified as having some sort of social meaning of male or female (i.e. genitals, chromosomes, hormones). Gender is a socially constructed meaning of what it means to be a woman or a man (i.e. what is masculine and what is feminine - if they're wearing a dress, have long hair, have make up on, they're a woman.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #9 
tigerhappy26

I mean like you could definitely tell and also the cup it came in said male.
tigerhappy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #10 
xfrequentflyerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
The Women's and Gender Studies teacher has to point out that you are talking about sex, not gender. Sex is the biological attributes that have been identified as having some sort of social meaning of male or female (i.e. genitals, chromosomes, hormones). Gender is a socially constructed meaning of what it means to be a woman or a man (i.e. what is masculine and what is feminine - if they're wearing a dress, have long hair, have make up on, they're a woman.
You have a point, thanks for that!