Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #1 
Grundylady

Water Change question

I have a 1.8 gallon filtered heated tank. (bowl)

I was told when I got Bo to change 25% of his water once a week. I was told I didn't need to get anything else. (Like a water test kit. - though they had tested my water I brought in.)

I've had Bo since Tuesday. While I'm sure the 25% change is good in the long run.....shouldn't I change it more frequently at first?

There has also been some evaporation - so I am going to put some more fresh water in. (Conditioned with the Tetra BettaSafe)

Bo is acting just fine. Should I just leave well enough alone and give him some additional water, or should I try to take some water out and then add more? (In case this is not obvious, Bo is my first fish.)
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In a 1.8gal filtered tank I would make 50% twice weekly water changes to maintain water quality...with one of the water changes clean the substrate by either vacuum or stir and dip method-the other one can be water only.

Make sure the water temp is within a few degrees between new and old water to prevent temp related problems and use dechlorinator with any new water added to the tank.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #3 
Grundylady

Thank you for your reply. I'll change out some of his water. I went out this morning and bought a test kit. This would be day three for Bo. Here are the results.

PH 8.0
ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

(Just for giggles I tested my tap water's PH...it was 7.0 - does the water conditioner raise the PH?)
Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and do a full test on your source water....

Since the tank is 8 and tap water 7 without the 24 hr gas out...something in your tank may be causing the pH to go up like gravel, rocks, decoration of some type

Draw a clean glass of your source water-do the pH test-write it down and wait 24h and re-test this same glass of water-write this number down-then add your dechlorinater-test the pH-write this number down and then re-test the tank pH and compare all these numbers and post them

What kind of testing product are you using-unless it is the liquid reagent type you won't get accurate number-

When you have ammonia or nitrite 0.25ppm or greater-make a water only change
Don't vacuum or clean the substrate more than every 7 days and don't touch the filter media unless it is clogged and then give it a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change....you want to get the nitrifying bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle to colonize and have plenty of food and oxygen.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #5 
Grundylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would go ahead and do a full test on your source water....

Since the tank is 8 and tap water 7 without the 24 hr gas out...something in your tank may be causing the pH to go up like gravel, rocks, decoration of some type

Draw a clean glass of your source water-do the pH test-write it down and wait 24h and re-test this same glass of water-write this number down-then add your dechlorinater-test the pH-write this number down and then re-test the tank pH and compare all these numbers and post them

What kind of testing product are you using-unless it is the liquid reagent type you won't get accurate number-

When you have ammonia or nitrite 0.25ppm or greater-make a water only change
Don't vacuum or clean the substrate more than every 7 days and don't touch the filter media unless it is clogged and then give it a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change....you want to get the nitrifying bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle to colonize and have plenty of food and oxygen.
I picked up the API Master freshwater kit so it is the liquid type.

I'll do the water testing again and post back tomorrow.

Thank you for your help.