Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #11 
gbose

MyBettaL

I'm a newbie betta owner, but -- from what I've read -- a heater is a good idea. Do watch your thermometer carefully, though; I had over-heating problems with a heater before...

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #12 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBettaLudwig View Post
Should I get a heater or no??
Not a must have. You should first get a thermometer to monitor the water temperature during the week...night to day cycle etc.

Our 14 needed a heater. The 5 gallon didn't need a heater as it's set up in a cozy location and the tank temp stays 76 to 79, 24/7
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #13 
MyBettaLudwig

Scoot, as I said in the post...I do have a thermometer, it stays at 75 all day long, at night it drops to 72 from about 2 AM to 7AM, then back up to 75 again for the day ...
MyBettaLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #14 
scootshoot

72 would be the limit I would go personally. Location of your setup becomes more important without a heater to minimize temperature fluctuation. Do you think there is another spot in your room to place your tank for added temp. stability?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #15 
MyBettaLudwig

Well, I purposely wanted it on top of my secretary desk so when I make jewelry, I can keep him company, and visa versa...It is by 3 windows, with only indirect sunlight parts of the day..For the most part its a warm room..I think it will go higher then 75 eventually cause right now where I love it is extremely cold outside..If it goes under 72 at night, I am definitely getting one..So far 75-76 most of the day
Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #16 
fishman12

You really should get a heater even though the temp is stable. Colder water conditions can lead to sickness or death. I think you also get a shorter life expectancy.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #17 
Ethan

In thailand there are lakes and rivers where bettas live you don't think the water flunctoates in tempature?I don't think a heater is neccariy but if you only had one betta its not much of a hassle to get a heater........ bettas can live in tempatures 62 degrees+ ........74-82 degrees they thrive. The choice though is up to you though. And if your betta looks happy I say don't change anything!
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #18 
scootshoot

Well Thailand is a tropical county with high humidity. This is whats on google...

80F (26C)+++ seems to be the norm year round for Thailand.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #19 
MyBettaLudwig

I have to be honest..I have a couple of reasons for hesitating: As I said the temperature is really stable and usually 75-76...And my Ludwig seems soooo happy and swims all day long nonstop...and also, my hubby with rather have not so many electricl cords around with fire hazard and all..He jsut feels for a couple of degrees to 78 or so is it really necessary...
Im stil thinking aout it, as I love Ludwig and I want to provide him a long healthy life...That being said I spoke to 2 peopel in pet shops that said their betta lived in a vase in yccky water, no heater for 5 yrs..Granted they were probabyl miserable, but I feel my betta must be happy if he is moving so much..
Old 01-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #20 
MyBettaLudwig

OMG..I am the worst typer ever...Sorry..