Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #1 
akjadestar

Red Crystal Shrimp

I still haven't set up my 10 gallon for Churro but when it's done I want to get some algae eating tank mates. I already found one random little snail in the tank, I dunno how he got in there, but yeah, I was like YAY! And I'm buying some plants from Big Als soon (including a beautiful piece of driftwood with Anubias growing on it) and they have tons of baby snails on there, and I don't believe they'll bother to take them off, so then if the baby snails make more babies, that's a lot of snails! But in the same tank as the driftwood with anubias I'm buying, there's like, tons of red crystal shrimps, they're really cute and look like this:
http://www.japan-net.ne.jp/next/red/red*e.html
Since the anubias and driftwood is so expensive (like 40 bucks) and they don't even have a price for the shrimp in the tank, and there's so many you can't even see the bottom, I might ask for a couple complimentary shrimp when I get wood. It's not for sure, but if I do, will they be safe with a betta? Will they be able to hurt my betta or will the betta hurt it? I'll have lots of hiding spots in the tank, as well as java moss probably, so the betta might not even notice them. Do you think I could keep a couple in my ten gallon? (:
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #2 
Malvolti

Will they hurt the Betta? Not likely.

Will they Betta eat them? Probably, depends on the Betta.

I've found red crystals, bees and other varieties of shrimp are much smaller that Ghosties making them snack sized for a betta. Since they are smaller they do a better job of hiding but they can be in trouble if they are found.

However if you do get them free then you aren't out anything if your Betta does decide to snack.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #3 
akjadestar

True, but I'd feel pretty bad if it got eaten ):
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #4 
shinybetta

My fish have never taking a bite of a shrimp, but it all really depends on your fish. In a heavily planted tank, you could have a lot more shrimp than you realize. I would go for it. Shrimp are great creatures for the aquarium.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote