Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #1 
Jupiter

White clouds!

Since I'm moving back to Ottawa soon, I'll (hopefully) have the space to open the 10 gallon and make a community tank.

Well, I've been thinking of white clouds. I've only owned them once, admittedly when I didn't know much about fish keeping, but I've always liked them. They seem pretty hardy and are quite peaceful. Also, they've got a bit of colour but aren't too flashy-I think they'll look very nice with Octavian and some cherry shrimp-a bit of red in everyone.

Has anyone had any experience with keeping them together with bettas? From what I know, they seem to tolerate a wide range of temperatures, just so long as I don't make it TOO warm.

Hopefully my plan will work out okay and Octavian will play nice.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #2 
small fry

Alot of people say that white clouds need a tank with a length of 24" minimum because they are an incredibally active fish. They also produce a large amount of waste for there size. 10 gallon tanks are generally 20" long. I would suggest getting a slightly bigger tank if you want white clouds.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Oh, really? I didn't know that. I was just going on the stocking calculator which made it seem like it was fine to put them in a standard 10 gallon. Thanks for the tip!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

They are pretty active but are a cold water species of fish... So in with a betta and heater will shorten their lifespan.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #5 
shinybetta

Whiteclouds would probably do fine in a 10 gallon. And they are coldwater/tropical. I know of someone who has goldfish at 80 degrees, because that is the normal temp where they live and the goldfish are very healthy.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #6 
small fry

It isn't a good idea to keep coldwater fish in tropical tempreture ranges. The warm water speeds up their metabolism to a rate that is not healthy for them. They will produce alot more waste. It just isn't a good idea. If the water gets too warm, it will actually start disolveing the oxygen that the fish needs to breathe.

Yes, they can live in tropical tempretures. No, it isn't good for the fish. Experts put maximum tempretures for a reason.

(btw, sorry for the science lesson )
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #7 
Kitty Whiskers

Oooh I love Whiteclouds! I had a small school of them in my 20 Gallon tank many years ago with 3 Cory catfish and a pair of female bettas. I don't remember the temp I kept them at, probably 75 to 80. ?? But anyway I always have had white clouds in many of my tanks over the years because yes they are hearty fish. They are what I use as starter fish too when starting a new tank :)
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote