Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #1 
MadMay

RIP Dion

He died several days ago and I have had to do alot of tests and interviews so I didnt have time to get on. I noticed around 7p.m. that he had little tears in his fins and I assumed he had tore them on the plastic plants in the tank so I took them out and put some aquarium salt in a turned the temp up to 81 (was at 79) I woke up the next morning to find him not only dead but his caudual almost completly gone. I had cleaned his tank like I do every week (10g filtered) about two days before all of my other fish who had cleaned tanks all on the same day with the same water. I know some can be tail biters and I have a feeling this is what he did and he was not able to get to the surface. My other fish are fine and not showing any signs of sickness and he was eating and mixture of frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, and bettamin. I have three others on the same diet, as I was conditioning them. Should I be worried about some disease? I have not reused any of his tank items.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 AM   #2 
LeroyTheBetta

I don't have any advice to your questions, but I'm sorry you lost Dion.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #3 
small fry

Very sorry for the loss of your fish.

What color were the tips of his fins when you noticed they were ripped? How badly were they ripped? Sounds quite abit sudden for a diesase. Is he in the tank by himself? Could his tail have gotten caught in the filter intake?
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #4 
MadMay

Well I didnt find him till he was dead so there might have been discoloration post-mortem but they looking normal colored the longer parts were stringing. I had a sponge filter, he was alone.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote