Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #1 
jschristian44

help with shrimp method

-The "Fishless Cycle" Using Shrimp

This method is similar to the fish food method but instead of fish food, we supply ammonia using raw shrimp from the seafood section of the grocery store. One medium sized shrimp for every 20 or 30 gallons of water will decay and provide a steady flow of ammonia into the tank. The benefit to using shrimp vs. fish food is that you can put the shrimp into some sort of mesh bag (filter media bags or pantyhose work great) so that the waste can be removed easily at the end of the cycle. Using shrimp also provides a nice steady, even flow of ammonia, something that can be hard to accomplish using only fish food. The steps to the cycle itself are the same as described above. This is likely the easiest method of cycling a tank as all you have to do is add the shrimp, test the water parameters from time to time, remove the shrimp at the end of the cycle and do a water change and you're all set.

i want to do this to get my tank ready. id like to get this done asap as i want to start breeding in like a month or two. all i gotta do is drop a piece of shrimp in the tank, and test the water? i got this kit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

my question is will i run out of product on the test kit or when should i test the water after i drop the shrimp in?
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote