Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #1 
New2Betas

Neons think my betta is food!!!

Not sure what to do, but Master Betta has been hiding all day so I tapped on the glass to get him to come out and his fins were shredded horribly! Then I found one of the neons start to EAT his fins!!! So I immediately took him out and put him in a salt bath, and he's going to stay the night in a small 5 gallon. Is there another kind of fish I can put him with that wont think he's food?

If I put the 4 glow neons in my 20 (currently has 2 dwarf gouramis, 3 cory, and 4 pristella tetra, would it be over stocked?
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I honestly think he'd be better off living by himself. I think he'd be happier.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #3 
New2Betas

I'd have to disagree. He seamed so much happier on day one swimming with the neons. He is sooo social! His color was much better, he was much more active. He truly looked happier. And I really dont want to have a 10 gallon with just one betta, kinda boring.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't see how he could be happy with other fish nipping at him. I don't mean to sound rude by saying that.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #5 
FishyFood

Your neon is a bully. My neons and betta get along fine together.
I agree with dramaqueen, your betta might enjoy the company, but not when they are nipping.
FishyFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Betas View Post
I'd have to disagree. He seamed so much happier on day one swimming with the neons. He is sooo social! His color was much better, he was much more active. He truly looked happier. And I really dont want to have a 10 gallon with just one betta, kinda boring.
Keeping fish is not only about entertainment. Your #1 priority should be the welfare of the fish. Neons should never be kept with bettas, tetras are notorious fin nippers. I've never seen a male betta that wasn't happy by himself (when proper husbandry was being practiced). If you want tank mates get corys, ADF, snails, or shrimp.. things that won't hurt your betta. Either that or leave him in his own tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #7 
New2Betas

Strange because all over this form I have read people suggesting neons. And I have herd that corys are bad to put with bettas.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Corys are good tankmates for bettas. Probably because bettas are top dwellers and corys are bottom dwellers so they don't get in each others' way.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 02-24-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #9 
DragonFish

I've actually heard about an equal amount of stories involving neons nipping at bettas, bettas going after neons, or them being just fine together....its really just a hit and miss thing I think. Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't for whatever reason....

Corys are wonderful tank mates for bettas, like DQ said. The only risk with them is if your betta goes after them, they're adorable little things who couldn't hurt a betta even if they tried I don't think

Another option is to divide the tank and get one or two more bettas ;) Hehe, thats probably what I'd do.....

Though, a nice, planted 10 gallon with a single betta would look beautiful IMO. Not sure why you'd think that would be boring....bettas are some of the most entertaining animals I've ever kept :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #10 
FancyFins

A 10 gallon really isn't that big so I don't think it would be "boring" to just have one happy Betta in it. Although I'm with Dragonfish and would probably divide it and get another fish :)

Oh and corys are great tankmates for Bettas. My alpha girl nipped at them a few times but now everyone is happy and healthy.
FancyFins is offline   Reply With Quote