Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #1 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
UGH! Shipment delayed, and my babies are sitting in a bag for over 10 days. Thoughts?

Hey everyone....

Well, I'm just about in tears here, freaking out about the latest events concerning my 9 imports from Thailand.

I am in Miami, was planning on picking up my Bettas from the transhipper Pegasus on Monday. However, due to bad weather, the shipments are being held (the plane makes a stop before Miami, obviously a place that has lots of snow!). Therefore my Bettas are at the Thailand transhipper waiting for the next shipment which is now rumored to be on the 20th.

I asked one of my four sellers how long these guys can survive in their bags, and they insisted 14-15 days. This seems an awful long time to be sitting in a dark, small bag. But they do not seem to be concerned.

Any thought on this? Ugh, If feel so awful about this....

StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Bettas are good travelers. They'll be fine for awhile. The Thai add quite a bit of additives in the shipping water so they'll be fine. Don't worry about it too much :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #3 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Bettas are good travelers. They'll be fine for awhile. The Thai add quite a bit of additives in the shipping water so they'll be fine. Don't worry about it too much :)

Thanks so much for the comforting words. I am about to have a heart attack!

So what the heck do they add to the water? Any ideas?!

I hate snow more than ever now. Believe me, I hated it enough before (hence being a Canadian who has been hiding in Florida for the winters for the last few years, LOL!), but now I hate it more than EVER!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #4 
chargers505

Not to scare you are anything, my halfmoon I received today was dead on arrival. This hurt me pretty bad. He was shipped Sunday, so it has only been 4 days. The weather in Denver (which is where my transhipper lives) was cold. I'm pretty sure my fish died due to cold weather. Poor thing
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #5 
chargers505

The heating pad was still warm, but when I was holding the bag...i can feel the freezing water. Man this has to be one of the worst days for me. Hopefully your bettas are ok.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #6 
StarSpun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargers505 View Post
The heating pad was still warm, but when I was holding the bag...i can feel the freezing water. Man this has to be one of the worst days for me. Hopefully your bettas are ok.
Oh my god! I am sooo sorry to hear that
That is just so sad....*sigh*.

I can't even imagine how you feel right now. I guess it happened from the transhipper to you....wow. I am wondering why that heat pad didn't work.

My thoughts are with you! Please don't blame yourself, he was going to be shipped to someone regardless.

This whole situation has taught me something....I will never be ordering a fish from Aquabid again. Too much can go wrong. In fact, if I ever get a fish, I will pick it up personally. No more shipping, it's just too risky and unfair. I've been reading so many horror stories lately....I am wondering now how many of my 9 are going to make it. I just feel sick.

I am so sorry once again. That is just so very very sad
Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #7 
chargers505

Thanks. Yeah, I started to tear up when I took the bag out of the box. My poor baby fish. I have been anxiously waiting for him all day. I had butterflies in my stomach (this is my first Aquabid fish). But I contacted the breeder and he said he will send a replacement, no questions asked. I also talked to my transhipper and we both agreed on watching the forecast for a warmer day/night to ship my replacement betta. Starspun, he was a beauty!! :( I'm super sad. I have him still in the bag in my room. I don't know what to do with him??? I don't want to flush him.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #8 
StarSpun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargers505 View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I started to tear up when I took the bag out of the box. My poor baby fish. I have been anxiously waiting for him all day. I had butterflies in my stomach (this is my first Aquabid fish). But I contacted the breeder and he said he will send a replacement, no questions asked. I also talked to my transhipper and we both agreed on watching the forecast for a warmer day/night to ship my replacement betta. Starspun, he was a beauty!! :( I'm super sad. I have him still in the bag in my room. I don't know what to do with him??? I don't want to flush him.

I have tears in my eyes right now!
What a beauty....I just found your other thread. I have knots in my stomach....ugggghhhh!

Don't flush him....put him back out into nature....do you have a lake or anything near by? Set him off on a leaf....whatever happens will be the natural course....

I am glad you are getting a replacement, even though nothing will fully replace this little guy. My heart is truly breaking for you....

Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #9 
HarleyRigid

So sorry to hear of your loss Charger. He was such a beautiful fish. As Starspun said there can be no blame at your feet what so ever. Im sure he has gone to a Betta place.
Best of luck with the new one on his way
Dan
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #10 
chargers505

Thanks! I will set him free by my lake. Your seller said 14-15 days huh? It only took 4 days to take the life of my betta. Unfrickinbelievable!!! The saddest part was I already had everything set for him. I'm still devastated. You could not have imagine how anxious I was all day long; constantly looking for the mailman. *SIGH*
Hopefully your fish will arrive safe and sound soon.