Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 02:09 AM   #1 
Abby

Smile New to the forum.

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and thought I'd stop by and say g'day.
I've had betta's a few times but never been very serious about developing into the Betta world.
Before running out and breeding, I have checked that I can indeed re-home the offspring.

Currently I have one beautiful male named Dastan,(photos to come)I think he is a veil tailed betta, my LPS (local pet store) calls them a regular; he's a mix of blue, purple and red, occasionally I can see a green splash on his chin.
He's about six months old and CURRENTLY in a 380 L X 230 H X 200 D that had my other fish in it (set up with plants gravel some wood filter and lighting) He built his first bubble nest within two days of moving in.

I won't be able to get another fish until my new tank comes, its a custom build job. It will almost be a cube, the back 10 cm will be one section, to house the filter and heater. In front of that will be two rows of bays, each bay will be 250 L x 250 D (230 H). the middle row will be two individual tanks (these will hold two females each) and in front of the females will be two male bays, these bays will be divided on the angle, to house four males.

The breeding tank will be the tank Dastan's living in at present (380 L X 230 H X 200 D) but by the time the breeding comes around it will have been stripped back to a bare bottom tank.

I have two LPS that will take any I breed and if there are some I cant sell to LPS I will advertise for sale. hoping to get a wide range of colors between my four pairs by the time I'm fully set up to attempt to get some better colors then the LPS have. With the people I've spoken to outside the LPS (general friends and other interested people) they want different not same ol same ol colors.

My partner is fairly experienced in fresh water tanks and fish and is in the process of setting up a salt water reef tank.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome Abby...the custom tank sounds neat...can't wait to see some pic.....

That has been my experience as well...more people want unique Betta...I can't keep up with demand these days......so I am having to spawn off season to keep up......its fun and rewarding.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #3 
Abby

As I mentioned I wasn't going to breed until I KNEW I would have an outsource for the offspring, its cruel to breed without knowing you have a home for them.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #4 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome Abby...the custom tank sounds neat...can't wait to see some pic.
Here's a rough idea of what it will look like: (PS: I suck at 3d pictures like this)

Old 01-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #5 
Abby

OHHHH forgot to add because its a little too big for the current tank position my partner will weld up a stand custom to fit the tank. (i love having a fishy/handyman partner lol he can fix it build it or knows it)
Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Lucky you....must be nice having a fishy/handyman...what is the total water volume on the custom tank and how are you making the dividers...look like a nice system...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

We have very good breeders here, most are IBC members and can supply you with quality breeding stock when you start :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #8 
Abby

49.5 liters, which is approximately 12.7 U.S. gallons. And yes its extremely handy to have his know how behind me. the dividers are glass and sit 5mm from the bottom using coarse gravel will let the water pump through. this is the "Holding Tank" where the adults will remain. a separate tank will be set up after my fish settle in for the breeding, it will just be a bare bottom tank. and a small cube for my breeding brine shrimps for foods. :D