Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #21 
1fish2fish

Actually it's different than the splendens female you originally posted.

If you notice the Rubra caudal fin doesn't just jut out from one ray but tapers to a point, so the rays naturally get longer until they reach the point.

The splendens however had nice fins except for one single ray that jutted out from the caudal edge.

And in case anyone is wondering, rubra are mouth brooders and cannot be crossed with splendens so there is no chance of a "hybrid" in this case.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #22 
BettaJ

well hey, if someone here truly was on the path of trying to create a new tail type... i say:

I support u.

-but in this case, it looks like a mutation that may not be passed on. but then again, who knows. if you have $100 to blow on it, then do let us know if they breed true. i mean, even to this day, HM don't breed true.

i have seen some "diamond eye" bettas. where the entire eyes are covered by the dragon scales, and the betta's is blind. now that's cruel to breed.
i think this Excalibur tail here is fine.
BettaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #23 
1fish2fish

HM does breed true. Given the right parents (i.e. both with 180* spread) almost all the fry will have the potential to go HM. The problem with HM is unless they flare they won't get the desired spread even if they have good branching.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #24 
BettaJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
HM does breed true. Given the right parents (i.e. both with 180* spread) almost all the fry will have the potential to go HM. The problem with HM is unless they flare they won't get the desired spread even if they have good branching.
IME, i get about 20% true 180 spread (HM) from a HM x HM cross. the rest are super deltas and others. but i think its a lot higher with HMPK though.

but other tails like VT and CT will yield 100% from homogeneous parents.
BettaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #25 
beat2020

Well with the HMs,it also depends on the line. Karen Mac Auley's multi HM line, for example, produces most if not all HMs in each spawn.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #26 
FuulieQ

I don't understand the opposition to breeding her. It's not a fatal defect, doesn't effect her quality of life, and looks pretty cool in my opinion.

It's weird to me how whenever a new mutation pops up everyone freaks out and says they'd cull that fish, but all bettas are heavily mutated... that's just what happens, if you breed HMs then you're breeding a mutation just like this one. The only difference is that people LIKE that mutation and have accepted it as a "trait".
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #27 
HayrideHaunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
I don't understand the opposition to breeding her. It's not a fatal defect, doesn't effect her quality of life, and looks pretty cool in my opinion.

It's weird to me how whenever a new mutation pops up everyone freaks out and says they'd cull that fish, but all bettas are heavily mutated... that's just what happens, if you breed HMs then you're breeding a mutation just like this one. The only difference is that people LIKE that mutation and have accepted it as a "trait".
well, some people here DO like the excaliber tail. I think the mutations people freak out on are the really severe ones, like blind bettas, ones without tails, ones with grotesquely shortened bodies which in many says cant be too good for them), and "big ears" which, while it looks rather pretty I'll admit, makes it more difficult to swim, because the pectorals are the most functional fins of a betta.
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #28 
Sanka101

Can someone just post picture on here instead of links as i cant find any of these pictures your talking about.. thanks =]
Sanka101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #29 
Luimeril

she's a very cute betta. i adore her colors so much. but, i think people are just sick of breeders overpricing defects that, more often than not, ARE fatal, or aren't something people should be passing on. issue with this girl is, people aren't sure if it's just a funky ray that grew that way, or an actual mutation.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #30 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayrideHaunter View Post
well, some people here DO like the excaliber tail. I think the mutations people freak out on are the really severe ones, like blind bettas, ones without tails, ones with grotesquely shortened bodies which in many says cant be too good for them), and "big ears" which, while it looks rather pretty I'll admit, makes it more difficult to swim, because the pectorals are the most functional fins of a betta.
Yes, I understand that, I just think that this mutation is really trivial to the fish's health. People seem to have really negative reactions to it that I think are disproportionate to the situation. :/
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote