Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #1 
RainbowIsland

Where to Start?

I can't stand to see an animal in pain or without a home so I decided to take some fish in from someone who was moving out of state. When I got the fish I knew that these fish weren't cared for right because they looked very unhealthy. Their tank was filthy and the person gave them barely any food because when I fed them they went on a frenzy as if they haven't ate for months. The tails and fins of the bettas look ripped. I don't want these fish to suffer so where do I start with nurturing them back to health? I have 1 male betta, 1 female betta, and a Glofish from the one person who had them all together in one tank. I'm not sure what species the bettas are.
RainbowIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #2 
bloo97

The bettas are most likely Betta Splendens.

For the bettas:
I would add AQ salt to their tank, and give them daily/every other day waterchanges. Just make sure their water is clean, they're fed, and that they have AQ salt.

As for the Glofish:
I'm not sure. I would go to www.tropicalfishkeeping.com for help there.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #3 
fredythefish

wait, they're kept together in one tank?? that's not good! that's so great that you took them in too :) for now, go out and get a couple bowls to seperate them in and some heaters for the bettas. the goldfish does not need a heater. seperate all three of them. and do what bloo97 said.
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #4 
bloo97

Woah, they are all in the same tank?!

Remove them ASAP like fredythefish said. (Thanks for pointing that out!)

If you don't have seperate tank, you could put them in bowls.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

They said GLOfish, not Goldfish.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #6 
RainbowIsland

We now have a problem. I had to take them out of the tank because a huge crack formed and that's the only tank I have. Right now I have them in the only resource that I had to put them in. It would be a large pitcher that they can't jump out of. What can I do for now? My parents are asleep and it's 9:18 pm over here. I can't let them know I need a new tank until morning. Is it ok to keep them in the pitcher until tomarrow? I have $20 that I can buy a tank with a divider with since I don't eat breakfest or lunch. I don't have any containers to use for them yet since I got them just a few days ago. All I have to use is this pitcher.

Edit: What can I do with the Glofish for now? I only have enough for one tank. I'm guessing they were kept together for a long time because they all get along. They don't attack each other and they mind their own business.

Last edited by RainbowIsland; 01-09-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #7 
soccerdog693

Are you sure they are getting along? If the bettas' tails looked ripped, they are probably nipping at each other :(

Try and separate them as best you can - even if they end up being in CLEAN and SOAPFREE Tupperware containers with something over them to keep the bettas from jumping out. (just make sure they can breathe thru them).

Last edited by soccerdog693; 01-09-2011 at 08:33 PM.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #8 
RainbowIsland

Now that you mention it they might've attacked each other in the past and the old owner didn't care. From what I've seen and observed for hours is that they don't mess with each other but it's a possibility that I missed the attacks while I was sleeping. I do need an answer to my previous question though so please take a look.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #9 
soccerdog693

I don't know what the glofish will need, but the bettas are going to need separate tanks. From what I've read here, just a divider between the male and female isn't enough, but I'm not sure on that. I don't know where you'd find everything they are going to need for under $20. The bettas should probably have at least 2 gal each, and again, I know nothing about the glofish. Just separate them for tonight at least.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #10 
RainbowIsland

I'll try my best to keep them seperated. What I'm worried about most right now is that I won't be able to bring them back to health fast enough before they die. To be honest the female and Glofish look as if they're ready to just lay down and slowly die. It's so miserble.

Edit: Lol I just noticed that you live in Michigan too.