Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #1 
Byte

Question Heater Issue

After browsing this site repeatedly for several days and reading through everything thoroughly, I finally purchased my first Betta

I know it's ideal to have a 2.5 gallon or above tank but unfortunately due to personal circumstances I can only squeeze in a 1 gallon tank which he does seem extremely happy in. My problem being I need a heater, it's extremely cold where we live currently due to the season and my Husband is not a fan of leaving the lamp or thermostat on during the night. I need to get my little guy a heater but am finding it extremely difficult to do so due to

a. Having such a small tank
b. It's a rounded bowl

I have looked at heating pads which seem to be aimed more at reptiles and are rather large (maybe I'm just not looking in the right places?)

Could anyone help and make a suggestion on what I can do to keep my guy warm and healthy?

Thank you
Byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte View Post
After browsing this site repeatedly for several days and reading through everything thoroughly, I finally purchased my first Betta

I know it's ideal to have a 2.5 gallon or above tank but unfortunately due to personal circumstances I can only squeeze in a 1 gallon tank which he does seem extremely happy in. My problem being I need a heater, it's extremely cold where we live currently due to the season and my Husband is not a fan of leaving the lamp or thermostat on during the night. I need to get my little guy a heater but am finding it extremely difficult to do so due to

a. Having such a small tank
b. It's a rounded bowl

I have looked at heating pads which seem to be aimed more at reptiles and are rather large (maybe I'm just not looking in the right places?)

Could anyone help and make a suggestion on what I can do to keep my guy warm and healthy?

Thank you
I think I might stay away from a heating pad for long-term use.. Idk, Ive heard that its not good to keep them with that too long (though I could be wrong?)
Some heaters can go in a one gallon. Look for ones that say "up to xxx". Id say if you can find one that's up to two or maybe(?) three gallons, it could work. I had a tetra heater (small) that worked in my one gal critter carrier. I made sure for four days that it wouldnt get too hot with a thermometer.
If it helps, I have serious space confinements too and found a 1.5 gal (doesnt seem much bigger but it IS!!) that's a cube(ish) and has space to store your fish stuff inside and a light built in! It came with a filter too, not that you necessarally need one.
Its this:
http://www.petco.com/product/102093/...arium-Kit.aspx (roughly, mines a slightly different model and in black) Its pretty cheap (considering) and you might find it a bit easier to manage than your one gal. Certainly is easier to heat! :B
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #3 
Byte

Thank you for your input, I think I'll stay away from heating pads unless someone else pops up in this thread with some previous or better experience. Most small heaters I browsed through all recommended "for 2.5 gallon -5" and with the bowl shape I don't exactly want some big stick just sticking out

That tank looks great and will probably be a future investment into my little guys life
Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte View Post
Thank you for your input, I think I'll stay away from heating pads unless someone else pops up in this thread with some previous or better experience. Most small heaters I browsed through all recommended "for 2.5 gallon -5" and with the bowl shape I don't exactly want some big stick just sticking out

That tank looks great and will probably be a future investment into my little guys life
Yeah, that's what I did :3 I saved up for it and still have it (whoohoo!)
I have a marineland (up to 3 gal) heater that keeps my 1.5 quite warm and its rather small and sleek.. It sticks well, too. Maybe someone will come by with more experience like you said :P

Shameless bump for moar experience!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #5 
SinCrisis

Hydor makes mini heaters: Mini Aquarium Heater | Aquarium Heaters | Fish Tank Heaters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com.

I use them in all my 1g setups, keeps the water warm in the winter. However, when summer rolls around u need to take them out, theres no temp control it just heats your water up several degrees, for 5g tanks its for it raises the temp only 5-6 degrees but in my 1g setups im seeing +10-15 degrees.

Theres also a similar product by zoomed, but i have never used that one before.
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCrisis View Post
Hydor makes mini heaters: Mini Aquarium Heater | Aquarium Heaters | Fish Tank Heaters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com.

I use them in all my 1g setups, keeps the water warm in the winter. However, when summer rolls around u need to take them out, theres no temp control it just heats your water up several degrees, for 5g tanks its for it raises the temp only 5-6 degrees but in my 1g setups im seeing +10-15 degrees.

Theres also a similar product by zoomed, but i have never used that one before.
I didnt know they made these! These are great :D
Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #7 
Byte

Excellent! I must say though, mines been rather happy without a heater so far. I have a wall mounted little LED light aimed at the bowl which is on constantly and that seems to keep him chirpy I will be buying that heater though! Thank you
Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

You can just buy a 25 watt adjustable heater for your one gallon bowl. Usually people just recommend not to have so many watts per gallons in case the heater thermostat malfunctions, and your fish are affected before you notice, or that it heats the water too quickly etc.

I had one running in my less than gallon quarantine tank, and it was fine. The thermometer always read the correct temperature, and I didn't notice any adverse effects on my betta.

Just watch with the light you have on his tank, that it isn't causing temperature fluctuations. That's why it's important to have a heater, not only to heat the water to a suitable level, but also to keep it constant. It's also why non-adjustable heaters are not worth the money it takes to manufacture them. Fluctuations are probably more harmful than keeping a betta at a constant low-end temperature, and it can leave your fish vulnerable to disease and stress.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #9 
SinCrisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
You can just buy a 25 watt adjustable heater for your one gallon bowl. Usually people just recommend not to have so many watts per gallons in case the heater thermostat malfunctions, and your fish are affected before you notice, or that it heats the water too quickly etc.

I had one running in my less than gallon quarantine tank, and it was fine. The thermometer always read the correct temperature, and I didn't notice any adverse effects on my betta.

Just watch with the light you have on his tank, that it isn't causing temperature fluctuations. That's why it's important to have a heater, not only to heat the water to a suitable level, but also to keep it constant. It's also why non-adjustable heaters are not worth the money it takes to manufacture them. Fluctuations are probably more harmful than keeping a betta at a constant low-end temperature, and it can leave your fish vulnerable to disease and stress.
I tried this before, but for many 1g tanks, there is not sufficient space for the heater, I dont know what kind of tank you have, but my 1g tanks are never more than 8in tall with the lid and most 25w heaters are still ~8.5in. The only one that i have found that will fit is the tetra brand heater, but it has terrible reviews. Additionally, 1g tanks are small already, these 25w take up much more space than a small heating pad form heater.

LEDs dont generate taht much heat, unless theres a lot of bulbs and they are all really really close to the water they wont affect the temp.

Unless your house's ambient temperature changes a lot, the temperature wont fluctuate rapidly since water itself retains heat. Slow changes in temp will not adversely affect the health of a betta, in nature, their rice paddy habitats have large changes in temps between day and night. AS long as your temp does not drop below 70F, the betta will be healthy and fine.

I have been using 2 of these hydor heaters for the past 4 years for my bettas, they have been reliable and both are still in excellent working condition. AS long as you keep an eye on your temp, ie noticing that the weather is warm and your tank temps are exceeding 82F, then its time to pull out the heater and let the ambient room temp heat the tank.
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #10 
Byte

The LED light is literally an inch away with 3 big lights. I have no clue whether it will or will not effect the temp. Our room is pretty warm during the day and night due to the cold weather here in the Northwest and I haven't seen a fluctuation in temperature yet (fingers crossed)