Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #11 
Grundylady

My Betta used to spit out her pellets. Then I switched to the brand the pet store used to feed him and he gobbles them up. (He loves his Betta Banquet pellets so much that he nearly jumped in the air this morning when I fed him the first one.)
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #12 
ChicagoPete

Top Fin Freeze Dried Blood Worms are what I feed my Boys as a treat.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #13 
Rubyred91

For your question here, honey...I'd suggest you try read the previous comments that other BettaKeepers have kindly replied to me. I hope these will help you!
Rubyred91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #14 
PinkPoodle

Hi, just joined. I got a blue betta two weeks ago but he died after cloudy water - water changes. So the new one I'm calling Bluey2.0. He is smaller than the other one who ate 2-3 pellets 2x a day. The lady at the Petsmart said feed 2-3 pellets every other day but Bluey2.0 keeps spitting them out.
PinkPoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #15 
Grundylady

I was told the other day that the 2-4 pellets every third day. And rotate. one feeding pellets, next feeding frozen bloodworms.

She told me that if they are not really hungry they will play with the food by spitting it out and grabbing it again.

I personally feed my boy 4 every other day and 1X a week with blood worms. But my girl can only handle eating every third day or she gets symptoms of SBD.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #16 
PinkPoodle

OK, you think he was playing with it? The fish lady at Petsmart said I was feeding the 1st one way too much food that is why the water was cloudy. On the back of the feeding thing it says 2-3 2x a day so I trimmed down to 3-4 every other day. Sometimes a few more come out than I planned.

What is SBD? Overeating?

Last edited by PinkPoodle; 06-01-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: forgot SBD
Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #17 
Arashi Takamine

*Whistles* Hey you guys Petstore employee's don't always know what their talking about. You need to feed your betta's every day at least four pellets or a pinch full of little pellets twice a day. If your betta's are spitting out food their mouths might be too small. Try getting a smaller brand like Tetra Betta mini pellets or New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula. (NLS is a bit pricey but it's enough to last your betta's whole lives.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #18 
Grundylady

The girl currently has 38 bettas at her home, the fish store she works at doesn't sell Bettas. Her advice saved Princess from SBD. (Swim Bladder Disease - when they float on their side and have trouble staying under water) (She CLAIMED - and I take this with a grain of salt - that people are told to feed so often so they will need to buy medicinal products for their fish. IDK - Not my theory)

Bo never spits out anything. And if Princess eats more then she gets sick. She is prone to tummy trouble, and was sick when I got her.

I'm not arguing with you mind - just passing on the advice I was given by someone who helped save my Betta.

Last edited by Grundylady; 06-01-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #19 
Arashi Takamine

Okay, okay I understand. Just I also know petstore employee's also say things with intention to make customers come back. I got conned into buying two 21 dollar heaters that the next day went on recall after he said the other one would shock my betta's.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #20 
PinkPoodle

Grundylady & Arashi Takamine,

Thanks for the help. I just want Bluey2.0 to live. I just gave him another pellet. He went after like he was starving then ate and spit it out 7x before I grabbed it and threw it away. He was spitting out part of the ABC "already been chewed" tiny pieces also.

I don't have a filter but just read to do a 10% water change every day if no filter and I got a little plant for each container. They said that would help with the cloudiness although this guy's hasn't gotten cloudy like the other one. I changed 50% water and he really perked up so maybe that was the problem.