Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #1 
Kitty Whiskers

Exclamation Think Gary has Popeye, How to treat it?

I noticed just this morning that Gary has a big protuding eye. And he is not swiming much and mostly laying on the bottom of his tank. Looks like he has trouble getting to the surface for a breath of air, same thing too for food when I put the pellets in and he wanted to eat but had hard time staying afloat up there before getting tired. Can you treat popeye with Bettafix? and if I completely change his water now and medicate should I lower the water in his tank for him to reach the surface better for air and food?

I'm scared cause a few days ago Kitty my favorite betta died. She was in her own seperate tank and I never use the same net or anything between my 3 bettas so I know he didn't get her bacterial infection. HELP ME please!
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #2 
fishman12

I would put him in a QT tank and 100% clean his regular tank. Epsom salt baths 2 teaspoons/gallon I THINK. PM OldFishLady for all epsom salt instructions.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #3 
Kitty Whiskers

Arrow

Here are some pictures I just took of Gary in his cup so you can see his eye. I'm completely cleaning out his tank right now. Sorry not too clear because the camera was stressing him out so I hurried. You can see his Right eye is huge!
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #4 
fishman12

Yeah, that's definitely popeye. Do you have Epsom salt?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #5 
Kitty Whiskers

I don't have Epsom salt or Aquarium salt either. What is the difference between the salts? I'd have to go buy some pretty soon today then. And what about the Bettafix med I have? Should I still use that or not? Can I use it with the salt? Sorry just panicing lol I'd hate to loose 2 fish in just 3 days.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #6 
fishman12

sorry don't know much about bettafix, maybe you should pm OFL about it. AQ salt is different from epsom salt, though that's all I really know...
Old 01-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #7 
fredythefish

I believe aquarium salt is for tears in fins and such.. I believe Epsom salt would be better to treat popeye. You can get it at a grocery store, I think, sooner than later. You should also get aq salt just to make sure. I always keep some on hand.
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #8 
Kitty Whiskers

TY Fredythefish :) I'm heading to the store in just a few minutes to buy both salts. I'll use the Epsom salt right now to do the treatments, and keep the Aquarium salt on hand for future use if needed.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #9 
Kitty Whiskers

Started Gary on his Salt bath yesterday. Today I'm getting ready to do his 100% water change with more salt water. I couldn't sleep so I woke up early thinking the worst has happened...But Gary is still alive. I fed him but he won't eat. Do I have to worry about him not eating? And for how long can he go without eating anything?