Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #1 
gbose

Why is my new betta so lethargic?

I just got my new betta home yesterday and he seemed to adapt quickly to his tank, swimming around and exploring his new quarters.

This morning, I find him floating around listlessly -- seems to totally lack energy. He looks healthy, no signs of disease and he's floating normally. But he's clearly not OK...

I suspect the heater isn't keeping the water warm enough. It's supposed to maintain 78F, but my thermometer shows more like 72F. I know that's a bit colder than it should be, but it doesn't sound terrible. Could this be the problem?

I have a 3G Picotope tank with a filter. My water parameters are normal (Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 12.5 or so). I use dechlorinator, so that couldn't be it. The heater's a Maineland 10W, supposedly good for upto 3G tanks....

Any ideas? I'm really worried about the little guy.

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #2 
fishman12

Well, the temp does need to go up. If the heater ia adjustable, then turn it way up. If it's not, you might have to get a 25 watt and set it on low.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #3 
gbose

Temperature

Thanks, Fishman. I will replace the heater today. It isn't adjustable. But do you think that would bve the cause of the problem or should I look elsewhere? He's hardly moving....
Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #4 
fishman12

It's probably the source of the problem, but if the water temp doesn't help, I would put him in QT tank with an epsom salt bath.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #5 
gbose

Temperature

Thanks, Fishman!

I replaced the heater with an adjustable 25W model set to 79F. Tested the water again and found a faint trace of ammonia (less than 0.25PPM) I guess in such a small tank, adding 1 fish and 2 shrimp started a mini-cycle.

So I did a 50% water change using slightly warm water. Thermometer is now reading 80F..

Betta looks slightly better, but still far from normal...If this doesn't work, I'll try Epsom salts. How long should I give it before I try that?

GB
Old 01-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #6 
gbose

Thumbs down It's over

He died this evening. I can't imagine what caused the dramatic change from a lively fish yesterday to a dying one today...

Maybe just the stress of moving and coming to a new environment?

GB
Old 01-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #7 
Crazykat

I'm sorry for your loss gbose. :( They are kept so badly at the pet store that I think it really does a number on their immune systems. To me it sounds like you were doing everything right. You probably just got a very ill fish and the stress of moving to a new place, no matter how nice, was the last straw. Nothing you could have done.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #8 
fishman12

I'm sorry.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.... don't give up.....

Question...how did you acclimate him to the new tank? maybe we can figure out what happen so we can help you be successful with your new Betta...that you have to get.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #10 
The Fighter

Sorry for ur loss but just remember death is not the end but a whole new beggining
The Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote