Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #1 
akjadestar

Live plants ! (:

So I'm finally getting around to setting up the 10 gallon and finishing it up already! I've been using my money for so much random junk but now I made a pact to myself to not buy anything until Churro's tank is DONE and ready to cycle! Because I feel bad for him that I keep putting off his bigger and better home. I even got my mom to make sure I don't spend my money on ANYTHING ELSE.

Okay, so I have some Wisteria... but, I think it's dead. Lots of the leaves turned black, so I plucked them off, and they're not growing back )): I ripped the seed from the roots by accident when I first got it so that's probably why.
So, I'm starting new with plants, beginning with a GORGEOUS piece of driftwood with Anubias growing on it that I saw at Big Als, it's forty bucks, but most big pieces of driftwood are 30 and anubias is 20, so it's a good deal. And, then when I have money, I'll buy some sword, which is like 20 bucks, and then I want some orange red purple plants, some nice colorful ones. Of course, I want some green ones too, but I want plants that you know would all look really beautiful together and would fill up a 10 gallon nicely. Preferably lower light and easy maintenance. So, other then anubias and amazon sword, what's a nice colorful variety of plants I can add, that would be found in most pet stores? (:
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #2 
ilovebunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjadestar View Post
I want some orange red purple plants, some nice colorful ones. Of course, I want some green ones too, but I want plants that you know would all look really beautiful together and would fill up a 10 gallon nicely. Preferably lower light and easy maintenance. So, other then anubias and amazon sword, what's a nice colorful variety of plants I can add, that would be found in most pet stores? (:
Unfortunately, plants that have red, orange, and purple color to them require high light or medium at best. I suggest going to www.plantedtank.net to research any plants that you may be interested in. If you want those colored plants you could always buy silk plants of those colors and mix them in with the real plants. Then at least you wouldn't have to worry about getting too technical with your plants' needs. The wisteria, anubias, and amazon sword you got sound good so far. Christmas tree moss or java moss would look neat tied to some rock or part of your driftwood.

Also, be careful if you go to a pet store that sells any plant, a lot of times the plant isn't fully aquatic and will rot and die if fully submerged. I had seen some members on the forum that got a purple plant for their tank that wasn't aquatic. So just letting you know ;)

Can't wait to see some pictures of your tank!
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebunnies View Post

Also, be careful if you go to a pet store that sells any plant, a lot of times the plant isn't fully aquatic and will rot and die if fully submerged.
Or are infested with an unknown parasite *Twitch twitch* (Which I killed with high temps but it still scared me thinking it was ICH but then found out you can't see ICH in it's cyst form so... it was an unknown infestation that shall remain unknown since I killed it haha)

Yeah get a Java Fern you can't really mess up there... they are so pretty too with the little baby java's that grow off the main leaves!

I too would like some colorful plants... yeah yeah high light, extra care... your talking to the OCD cleaner guy extra care isn't an issue...
START NAMING THE COLORFUL PLANTS! WOOO!
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #4 
demonr6

I recently purchased a number of plants from http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/main.sc since all my store bought crap from PetSmart was pretty much dead when I opened them. They were fast, plants were packed really well and everything looked good. :) I followed them from a recommendation on the forum.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #5 
akjadestar

Well, my light is pretty bright, it's low wattage but VERY high Kelvin. So I probably could pull off some higher light plants... Are pretty much ALL plants betta safe though?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #6 
Alex09

You need high wattage (not kelvin; which should be in the 6500k to 10000k) to grow high-light plants. You also need c02 injections and fertilizers. The only exception to c02 & ferts I believe is the walstad method.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #7 
akjadestar

What light would be best for high lighting plants in a 10 gal? I think my light (or maybe my light hood?) is broken, so I need to buy more bulbs anyways.
But, by the way, I was lifting up my lighthood (which isn't attached to the actual lid) and then I dropped it, like less than a foot onto my desk, and the light just turned off, and I don't know whether it's the light hood or the bulb that's broken? And I can't get the bulb to come out no matter how hard I try to pull it out?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:15 AM   #8 
ilovebunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
I too would like some colorful plants... yeah yeah high light, extra care... your talking to the OCD cleaner guy extra care isn't an issue...
START NAMING THE COLORFUL PLANTS! WOOO!
Ok Mr. OCD or anyone else who is interested in some colorful plants. Here is a list of some colorful plants:

1. Telanthera, Rosaefolia [Alternanthera reineckii] Bright light, hardy

2.) Red Bacopa [Bacopa sp. 'Red'] Bright light, easy

3.) Orchid Lily [Barclaya longifolia 'Red'] medium light, challenging

4.) Red Cabomba, Forked Fanwort, Cabomba Piauhyensis [Cabomba furcata] Bright light, challenging

5.) Red Foxtail [Myriophyllum simulans] Bright light, hardy

6.) Tiger Lotus [Nymphaea lotus zenkeri 'Red'] Medium light, easy

7.) Red Rotala [Rotala macrandra] Bright light, challenging

8.) Indica [Rotala indica] Medium light, hardy

9.) Colorata Rotala [Rotal sp. 'Colorata'] Medium light, easy
Couldn't find a picture :P

10.) Variegated Rotala [Rotala macrandra 'Variegated'] Bright light, challenging

Now I think the simplest way to think about lighting a tank is the 'watt per gallon' rule. I think this is a good rule to go by for tanks that aren't over 3 feet deep.
Light Level Watts/Gallon
Low 1-2
Medium 2-2.5
Bright 2.5-3
Very Bright 3+

So for a 10 gallon tank, you would need 10-20 watts for a low light level, 20-25 watts for a medium light level, 25-30 watts for a bright light level, and 30+ watts for very bright.

The color spectrum of light is the Kelvin rating. Think of a rainbow (ROY G BIV) red is low kelvin rating while violet is a higher kelvin rating. Ideally, you want a bulb in the 5,000K-10,000K. Red colored plants will reflect red light therefore you want a bulb around 6,500K (light will have a blue tint allowing the red plant to absorb this light and photosynthesize).

I hope this helps anyone looking into plants, I know I'm trying to do just that. Next time, I'll try and explain CO2 and plant ferts. :)

Oh, and if anyone feels the need to correct anything or share some input feel free. I am not a plant expert! ;P

Last edited by ilovebunnies; 01-15-2011 at 01:17 AM.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 AM   #9 
akjadestar

Awwww, my current light is too low of wattage. And the Kelvin is 16000! too high... So I need a new bulb... the thing is, you need around 3 for the best plant growth, but what if you can't fit a bulb that high of wattage in your tank..? 18 inches would be about the size for a 10 gallon, but most 18 inch bulbs are only 15 watts, that's less than 2 watts per gallon!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #10 
Abby

Ive got Amazon sword but they get fairly large (my partner had one that got like a foot tall and the root system took over the tank under the gravel, managable if potted though), narrow leaf java fern, anubias nana and flame moss. the flame moss isnt the cheapest but its pretty:
-v- Flame Moss-v-

-v- Anaubias Nana -v-

-v- Amazon Sword-v-

-v- Narrow Leaf Java Fern -v-
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote