Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #1 
Shizuka Mori

Getting Started...

I've recently bought my first Betta who has some awful fins for a Veiltail. He was on the shelf in Meijer where many other Bettas including him were left to starve and become filthy. I was sad when I saw how manipulated Genji's fins were so I decided to buy him and heal them. I understand that I need some Aquarium Salt to help heal them and I'm wondering if I can buy it from Meijer where I bought Genji.
Shizuka Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #2 
Shizuka Mori

Bump...
Old 01-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I have found that clean, dechlorinated water from lots of water changes and improved nutrition will do wonders for tattered fins related to poor water quality conditions and poor nutrition...if you suspect a secondary infection then I would do a 10 day aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes...adding tannins can also help...... just mix up a 1gal jug of treatment water and add the tannins to steep and this also helps make correct dosage and water changes easier....good nutrition is also important to stimulate fin regeneration....

When I have a badly tattered fins- I don't use any filtration in the tank....less water movement can help those delicate fins bloom....

Love to see some pic...neat to see before and afters.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #4 
Shizuka Mori

The photograph was difficult to take since Genji keeps swimming around really fast in his new home. I think he's telling me he likes his new home. I finally got one though so please don't be mad if it's bad quality.

BEFORE:
Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I don't normally get mad...however, I really can't tell much by the pic....and it can be a real challenge to get good pic of a moving object in water....I still can't get good ones myself.....lol....I will snap 100's of pic and I might...just might get 1 good one and that is if I am lucky...laffs....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #6 
baylee767

It looks like fin rot. I'd do what OFL said with the salt.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #7 
Shizuka Mori

LOL well I tried like 50 times to get a good picture of Genji. Eventually I gave up because he began flaring at me.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:50 AM   #8 
Jupiter

Hahaha, I know! It's so tricky to take pictures of them. I'll literally take over 100 pictures to get 5-10 that I post on the board, lol.

Just keep his water warm and clean, hopefully his fins will heal soon. Though the way his fins are shaped don't really look like VT to me.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #9 
fleetfish

One of my guys was labelled as a female plakat when I got him a few months ago, his fins were so short. Right now he is very obviously a VT since his fins have grown out. You never know :)

Genji is a pretty boy! I'm sure he will thrive under your care.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #10 
Shizuka Mori

Thank you everyone for your support. He was labeled as a VT and his body shape seems to point out some VT features to me for some reason. Who knows? I could be totally wrong and in that case I'll apologize to Genji and post a new picture of him to see what he actually is.