Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #1 
Creat

Question Breeding Wilds to Pet store ?

I have had this question on my mind for a while... Is it possible to breed a show/petstore betta to one of its wild counterparts? Would the betta be hardy or less hardy? How much finnage would be lost? What are the pro's and con's of this? and is it even possible. And I was thinking bubblenest builders not mouth brooders are crosses possible even and I heard they do it in Thailand for the plakats but only the fighters.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

You have to realize that your talking about different species. It's not like breeding dogs to wolves (which is not a great idea BTW). It's more akin to breeding lions and tigers or horses and mules. Closely related but not the same species.

It is possible to cross some species of betta if they are in the same complex (for more info check out the IBC-SMP) but it is greatly frowned upon by most people. Many species of Betta are rare and even endangered because of loss of habitat in the wild. Diluting the gene pools of those species for the sake of experiment or hybridization is not an ethical goal to have.

For the more common wilds such as imbellis, smaragdina, splendens (there is a wild version of splendens) it is common to cross them with domesticated splendens. Crosses with imbellis and smaragdina are how the copper and dragon genes were introduced into domestic splendens. Even that is looked down upon by some breeders (why, I don't know.. I guess some breeders are just elitist).

As for finnage, cross a long fin with a wild and you'll probably see shortening of the fins which will have to be bred back to their desired lenght. Hardiness is really not a characteristic of wilds per se.. there are plenty of wilds that are extremely hard to keep unless you have perfect conditions. I don't think mixing wilds would make your strain any more or less hardy... that has more to do with how they are fed and raised and how the parents were raised as well.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #3 
Learn To Fly

+1 1fish...you always get everything in your posts lol...

Don't really know why you'd really have a great reason to mix species, although look at the people who made Dragons and Coppers...but I read in an article they had a lot of difficulties with spawning the two species together.

Also, 1fish, mules are steril ;) ...horses and donkeys might be a better comparison.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #4 
Creat

I understand that I just curious I would never bother to do that although I am interested in owning a pair of wilds to keep.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

I was thinking of buying one of Lindas imbellis to mix into my blues since that's how Victoria Parnells line started...just a thought.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn To Fly View Post
Also, 1fish, mules are steril ;) ...horses and donkeys might be a better comparison.
Derrr.. that's what I meant. My brain is totally fried apparently
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #7 
Creat

Im curious Mr. Vampire why would you do that, like what would the benefits be and such?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #8 
Learn To Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Derrr.. that's what I meant. My brain is totally fried apparently
Lol I understand that :) We all have those days, and you've been awful busy lately it seems.

Hmm...Mr Vamp...that sounds like an interesting project. Let us know how it goes if you attempt it.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Im curious Mr. Vampire why would you do that, like what would the benefits be and such?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn To Fly View Post
Lol I understand that :) We all have those days, and you've been awful busy lately it seems.

Hmm...Mr Vamp...that sounds like an interesting project. Let us know how it goes if you attempt it.
It would be to take the blue dragon back to its roots......I love Victorias line so I want that kind of look. Ill email Linda and see if her pair spawned....they were close when I saw them.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #10 
Creat

oh fun sounds like a great project please let us know if you attempt it and how it goes