Specs:
Tank: 10gal
Temp: 80F
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: None
Nitrates: None
Nitrites: None

*Sips Tea Looking very unamused*

If you've been keeping up with my rants you should know that I've been fighting constantly HIGH Nitrites for awhile. Now just randomly they vanish.

*Pours another cup only to burn self and sprays room with Steaming 170F Amber Chai*

*After cleaning up spill*

Yeah the tank parameters seem stable now.
I think it was due to *Acting all full of himself* my cunning nature of adding those Plant Bulbs which dirtied the tank somewhat and fed the bacteria... hehe

Hmm

Now the bulbs are covered with wispy... smokey globs... that detach now and then and get snagged on the other plants.

I want to clean the tank!

*Goes after tank with cleaning supplies only to get dragged away by friends*
NO! THE FILTH! DRAX MUST BE CLEANSED!

Friend: Dude... *Slaps* Calm the FRIG down...
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #2 
scootshoot

Very nice, Drax is one lucky dawg!

You give up on your community aspirations? Tank looks stable enough now....
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #3 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Very nice, Drax is one lucky dawg!

You give up on your community aspirations? Tank looks stable enough now....
*Sips Tea*

Should I wait? And check for a few days... or...

Just go for Cories... hahahaha *Sips* Well I have more to say but I'll wait till you guys give me the go ahead before I go into it.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #4 
scootshoot

I think you will be fine. Just introduce them in small increments, in other words don't buy 10 community inhabitants and throw them all in at once haha.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #5 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
I think you will be fine. Just introduce them in small increments, in other words don't buy 10 community inhabitants and throw them all in at once haha.
... Poo Not yet on the cories... Since I'll be back in school by next Tuesday my parents say just to wait till summer when I'll be home.

Otherwise I planned on perhaps gutting the tank... covering the bottom with soft sand... then... putting everything back the way it was......................... Pretty much the tank would look the same except with 1-2 inches of soft sand hahahaha and maybe a few less big stones and shells.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #6 
DormDrax

*Flips over table*
*Calms down*

*Sips tea*

*Looks at everyone*

What? I'm just frustrated that the water chemistry is... balanced still... everyone kept saying it would take like forever... but it's stable now and still has been. And no I haven't done any water changes.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

If your tank was completely cycled, you would have some visible nitrates since that's the end product of the conversion from ammonia to nitrite. The fact you don't have any nitrates indicates that you have either recently done a water change (though there should be some nitrates present in your tap water) or that your tank hasn't in fact cycled yet.

If you've got the API test kit, you really have to shake up the second bottle and maybe give it a bang or two against a hard surface since it can crystallize and give wrong readings.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #8 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
If your tank was completely cycled, you would have some visible nitrates since that's the end product of the conversion from ammonia to nitrite. The fact you don't have any nitrates indicates that you have either recently done a water change (though there should be some nitrates present in your tap water) or that your tank hasn't in fact cycled yet.

If you've got the API test kit, you really have to shake up the second bottle and maybe give it a bang or two against a hard surface since it can crystallize and give wrong readings.
Oh! Should have mentioned or... maybe I did (Kinda tired) but for the last week I had... had very high Nitrites. Now they just... poof... vanished. I shake the things and wait awhile, and I did the test a few times.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

You should have zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and visible nitrates. Nitrites are harmful to fish in amounts as low as 0.25ppm, but nitrates are generally harmless in levels up to around 20-40ppm. If your nitrites have suddenly vanished it could be that you will start seeing the production of nitrates soon, as you might be nearing the end of your cycle.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #10 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
You should have zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and visible nitrates. Nitrites are harmful to fish in amounts as low as 0.25ppm, but nitrates are generally harmless in levels up to around 20-40ppm. If your nitrites have suddenly vanished it could be that you will start seeing the production of nitrates soon, as you might be nearing the end of your cycle.
SEE! Thats what I'm so baffled by!

Yeah the current stats are...

10gal
80F
PH 8
Ammonia: None
Nitrites: None
Nitrates: None
Plants: Recovering Anacharis, Healthy Java Fern (It's getting baby ferns on the leaf tips!), Wysteria, Anubias and a partially Submerged Variegated Philodendron vine.

I used to loads of water changes just like 2 weeks ago but I was told to stop.
So why is the tank like finishing the cycle already?
I read that LOW PH can slow cycling so could a PH of 8 speed it up?

I don't know just wanted to know if like... somehow the tank has magically quick cycled or if this is just a fluke haha