Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #11 
coolcucumber

yes, the filter is always on.

the tank has been runnung for a few months, and the other fish died today

I feel like im being interrogated haha

i do water changes every 1-2wks, about 30%

Last edited by coolcucumber; 01-15-2011 at 09:48 PM.
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #12 
coolcucumber

here is a photo, you can kind of see his crinkled fin
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #13 
PewPewPew

Aw, what a handsome man.
Youre in good hands, CoolCucumber, OFL really knows what's up :D *admires*
Dont worry about the toothbrush- things happen! (Even if that wasnt why!)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #14 
coolcucumber

Thanks hehe

I know, hes gorgeous ;D

His body is purpley with the blue shimmers and bright orange fins with also blue shimmers :D

Im just hoping i can do what i have to do so he survives.
What mediation should i buy? And, i should turn the filter off then?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #15 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcucumber View Post
Thanks hehe

I know, hes gorgeous ;D

His body is purpley with the blue shimmers and bright orange fins with also blue shimmers :D

Im just hoping i can do what i have to do so he survives.
What mediation should i buy? And, i should turn the filter off then?
I would!
And he might not need it (Check with OFL...), dont wanna medicate something that doesnt need medication D:
Those fins give him great character!! :3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #16 
coolcucumber

OFL? *calls into the forum* Help! hehe

im a little confused at what to do. Ill do a water change, turn off the filter, and wait for another reply i guess
Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Sorry just trying to get a clear picture of what is going on to help you better....

since the tank has been running for a couple of months you should be seeing nitrates by now-depending on the type of product you are using (you didn't answer that question) maybe I could help you figure out why.......

sudden deaths-fish had clamped fins.....how long had he been sick and any other symptoms

Water changes every 1-2 weeks 30% for 2 fish in a filtered 5gal-I am not trusting the water prams at this point-the kit may be out of date is what I am thinking or the reagents have settled if you are using the liquid reagent type test kit..strips are not always accurate....anyway

I would recommend that you increase the water changes on a regular basis to 50% weekly

My first thought is ammonia spike or pH swing or even not enough dechlorinated used with the water change...easy to forget especially when you are dealing with a dead fish and a sick fish at the same time.....that can get you side tracked.....sorry for your loss by the way.....

Mostly thinking out loud here......not blaming or accusing or anything...stuff happens......just trying to help.....

I would start with some daily 25% water changes with extra dechlorinator to rule out the environment.....and see if that won't perk him up....and go from that point.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #18 
coolcucumber

Okay. Um, its just nutrafin aquaplus, i dont really use anything else other then that, and the KENT marine PH stable. the PH was at 6.7ish until i fixed it, that was early this morning, could that have been it?

the dead fish was lying at the bottom of the tank, and had been looking upset for a couple days, possibly stress? I just put the second fish in a week ago, so he could have been stressed. he wouldnt hurt a fly, but the sick one now is a mean one hehe

Last edited by coolcucumber; 01-15-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #19 
coolcucumber

Also, i heard from someone you can use baking soda to stablize PH.. is this true?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

pH swings can cause problems especially on already compromised fish....without proper buffers and chemical additives those sudden swings can really effect the fish...1 degree change is a really big swing when you are talking pH...sometimes it can take 24 hour to see the problem-and sadly, the damage is already done.....I wouldn't worry about your pH...Betta will adapt to your source water pH without any problems.

You may want to add some aquarium salt 1tsp/gal-calculate for the displacement of water if you treat in the 5gal and add it over an hour...make a 25% water change-add extra dechlorinator-mix about 4.5tsp of aquarium salt in a cup of warm water to dissolve and add 1/4 cup every 15 min and watch his tolerance.....its really better to QT him in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank so you can start 100% water changes with the aquarium salt...but I fear too much stress on him at this point...I would dip out a small Qt of his tank water to put him in just in case he reacts badly to the salt if you treat in the 5gal...always good to have a safety net so to speak....you don't want to do too much fresh water on him either at this point...too many change too soon could put him over the edge and we don't want to do that......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote