Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #21 
coolcucumber

Ive moved him into a jar with 1/2 his water and 1/2 the water from my other tank. his colour seems to be slowly leaving him, but ive added bettafix to the jar, and im treating his tank now.
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #22 
Oldfishlady

I think I may have confused you....you want to treat the Betta with the salt...but good that you have him in a small container now......

If you have a 1gal jug fill it with like temp dechlorinated water and the 1tsp of salt and make 25% water change with this pre mixed salt water tonight and 50% tomorrow and then 100% daily for the next 10 days

If you can float the jar in the heated tank or some way heat the container so he doesn't get too cold and stress
You can lower the water level in the 5g a little and place the jar in...turn off the filter and the light-be sure and fix the jar so it doesn't sink or the water from the 5g get in it
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #23 
coolcucumber

Okay, ill add a bit of salt to his jar then. I can float the jar in the 5 gal, so itll stay heated.

Thank you so much for all your help, and ill keep posting on whats going on ;)
Old 01-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #24 
coolcucumber

Im still worried about his fins though.. i dont know whats causing them to stick together...

heres the current set up for him:
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #25 
coolcucumber

Oh- i put a freeze-dried bloodworm in and he ate it, so thats a good sign
Old 01-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #26 
coolcucumber

any ideas about the fin? D:
Old 01-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #27 
coolcucumber

Well, he seems alright now. The jar had a betta-sized groove all the way around, if you can see in the pic (at the bottom) so he lies in there a lot of the time. However, he is eating, and looking more active. the jar is doing well, added the second bit of bettafix to it, and did a tine water change to the jar. Im hoping his fin opens up, thats whats really worrying me, and i havent had a clear reply on what it could be?

its pinched shut (his dorsal fin) and the others look like they could possibly be on their way of being pinched aswell. there is bettafix in there, so im hoping that'll prevent it? Any ideas, though?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #28 
Oldfishlady

Clamped fins can be several different things from stress to parasites-often once he start to improve with water changes with the aquarium salt 1tsp/gal 10 day treatment he will open the fin back up...he needs time, quality water of the correct temp, stable and stress free environment as possible and good nutrition....it takes time....
Old 01-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #29 
coolcucumber

Um, OFL? I did a 80% water change on the 5gal, to get rid of any illness, should i have? Im a bit confused now.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #30 
Oldfishlady

No problem...water changes are good-I would also do another water change on the 5gal right before you put the Betta back in the tank after the 10 day treatment is completed-be sure and dump the water out of the filter box and give the filter media a good rinse before you turn it back on-your nitrogen cycle will most likely need to be re-started...but not a problem as long as you make the needed water changes with the Betta in the 5gal after the treatment....I wouldn't worry about the 5gal until then...unless you have other livestock in it.......

Once the treatment is completed I will go over what you need to do....