Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Quick divider question :D

I have a 10gal that Im gonna set up for my two boys with a divider (Topfin for 10 gal). Ive read up on them, but still have to wonder..
Will they eventually stop obessing over eachother once theyve lived beside one another for a while?
The divider is sorta see thru :c I dont want em too stressed!
But Ive heard about people with side by side tanks without things between them and the fish stop caring xD
I was thinking of putting plants infront of them for stability and to make it a little harder to see, too.
(Also was thinking maybe of non-aquarium plants for this..)
A second divider is expensive and not quite what I want D;
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #2 
coolcucumber

Dividers are kinda tricky. I had a nice betta on one side, and a mean betta on the other, and the mean one kept going after the other. Also, make sure the holes are big enough, because the water wouldnt flow through mine well and i had to keep lifting it up and catching one fish to filter one side, IF your using a filter ;)

But, id suggest some plants by the divider so the fish have somewhere to hide?

Last edited by coolcucumber; 01-16-2011 at 01:10 AM.
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #3 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcucumber View Post
Dividers are kinda tricky. I had a nice betta on one side, and a mean betta on the other, and the mean one kept going after the other. Also, make sure the holes are big enough, because the water wouldnt flow through mine well and i had to keep lifting it up and catching one fish to filter one side, IF your using a filter ;)

But, id suggest some plants by the divider so the fish have somewhere to hide?
I have a filter and plants amd terra cotta pots for hiding :3 its actually almost too open, its easy to see through lol! I was considering some larger, non aquarium plants to help shelter it better too :3
Old 01-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I have two males in a none planted (it just has big chunks of driftwood on either side) divided 6 gallon tank. It was a DIY divider that I made using a plastic felting sheet that has small holes only about 1/4 mm in size. There was some flaring from one of my males when I first put them in, but aside from trying to sneak around during water changes to have a fight, they totally ignore each other. The lazy buggers don't even make bubble nests anymore!
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #5 
Neelie

yeah they will get used to it. just put a few plants in front of the dividers on each side. you'll see how they'll get along then.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
yeah they will get used to it. just put a few plants in front of the dividers on each side. you'll see how they'll get along then.
Oh good :3
Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #7 
dragonfair

Most can handle it after a while, but some never do. I had 2 in a divided 10 gallon tank and they never got used to it (turns out they're both rather neurotic/strange personality-wise). I tried all sorts of different ways to keep them from obsessing over each other but in the end they were so stressed out I had to completely separate them. Grr!
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #8 
BettaHeart

I had a 5 gal i divided myself and had to constantly watch Ghost and Koby but during the night Ghost would somehow manage to get into the other side. *sigh* sadly no good came out of that arrangement for both. So now i am keeping Ronin in it by himself which he seems to love.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #9 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaHeart View Post
I had a 5 gal i divided myself and had to constantly watch Ghost and Koby but during the night Ghost would somehow manage to get into the other side. *sigh* sadly no good came out of that arrangement for both. So now i am keeping Ronin in it by himself which he seems to love.
I think I heard about that :c I sawwies.
My parents are being jerks and wont let me keep my brand new 10gal, so I have to get a 5, but Idk if I can use the divider I'd bought already (for a ten gal) in it :c
Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #10 
naturegirl243

I have a 10 Gal. split in half right now I only have one of the males(Diego) in there cause my other is in a 1 gal. hospital tank cause he is having fin issues.But they can't really see each just each others shadows at first they flared and flared at each now they have gotten more used to each other they both have hiding spots so if they want to get away they can and they deffinatly do.I honestly I only have them in a split tank cause I don't have a spot for two more tanks.They just seem happier when they are not always by each other.They are still perfectly happy I just feel bad that they always have that un easy stressed feeling about the other male.My two are great boys though they have never jumped over the edge or even tried to jump.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote