Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2011, 04:43 AM   #1 
lara121

I think my fish is dieing :(

I don't think I have seen him eat once since I got him. I have tried pellets, flakes everything... He is laying in his plants really wierd... Often I think he is dead. Like he was not moving and sitting at the top of the tank and I poked him with my finger and he darted away, but then went back in his plants and he's kinda laying on his side and squishing his bottom fins and not moving anything and it's really Making me sad I don't know what to do... I don't see white spots on him or anything.. A little white bit on his head. But he is just floating to the top and not moving. Like his head is actually poking out of the water a bit. :( I'm so sad... He's not belly up. But he's not... Acting normal. I'm scared to go to bed to wake up to a dead fish.

Just noticed that he has a gimp fin. He is only able to move his right one the other fin doesn't flutter. I wonder if he is injured or what. I'm sure he is going to bed dead :( he is literally just doing nothing. Laying in wierd dead like positions. I'm debating flushing him and putting him out of his misery :( so sad...

Last edited by lara121; 01-15-2011 at 05:01 AM.
lara121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:04 AM   #2 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara121 View Post
I'm debating flushing him and putting him out of his misery :( so sad...
First of all...

*Slaps*

Ok now that thats out of the way...

How long have you had him, if he's new... then he's just still getting used to the tank.

As for the Gimp fin... I think I remember that being mentioned before and that they often do heal, he probably did hurt it, but you need to calm down alittle. He doesn't sound like he's dying. Since you say you didn't want to go to bed because of this... it means it's late for you... Betta's DO sleep ... sorta... well... they trance out. Often in the weirdest positions. They LOVE sleeping on plants so if he's on a plant... thats a good sign. Just take deep breaths just try and figure out how he hurt his fin maybe a sharp decor (Not blaming you... some Betta's I've learned from this site seem to just be Klutz... just like some people).

As for the white bit? ... Can ya take pictures? Any will be fine, don't worry if it's fuzzy! Some of the experts on this site seem to be able to figure out whats wrong from anything.

Once again... Deep Breaths... and go to sleep.

*Smirks*
Oh I bet you long timers on this site love having me around now to deal with the late night issues (Since I'm a night owl).

Last edited by DormDrax; 01-15-2011 at 06:07 AM.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta is not doing well...have some questions....

How many days have you had him, how big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, water temp, filtration, live plants, additives used....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #4 
lara121

So he survived the night, but is still doing the same thing. I am not going to feed him anymore. I bought one of those tubes to clean up all the food he has not eaten and also bought some medication from the store. Im thinking about moving him to a small bowl and just keeping him there till he gets better. I dont have a heater, i think this might be the source of the problem however NO WHERE IN TOWN has a heater for fish tanks. What can i do to raise the water temperature level? Its at about 65-70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
First of all...

*Slaps*

Ok now that thats out of the way...

How long have you had him, if he's new... then he's just still getting used to the tank.

As for the Gimp fin... I think I remember that being mentioned before and that they often do heal, he probably did hurt it, but you need to calm down alittle. He doesn't sound like he's dying. Since you say you didn't want to go to bed because of this... it means it's late for you... Betta's DO sleep ... sorta... well... they trance out. Often in the weirdest positions. They LOVE sleeping on plants so if he's on a plant... thats a good sign. Just take deep breaths just try and figure out how he hurt his fin maybe a sharp decor (Not blaming you... some Betta's I've learned from this site seem to just be Klutz... just like some people).

As for the white bit? ... Can ya take pictures? Any will be fine, don't worry if it's fuzzy! Some of the experts on this site seem to be able to figure out whats wrong from anything.

Once again... Deep Breaths... and go to sleep.

*Smirks*
Oh I bet you long timers on this site love having me around now to deal with the late night issues (Since I'm a night owl).
Old 01-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #5 
lara121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry your Betta is not doing well...have some questions....

How many days have you had him, how big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, water temp, filtration, live plants, additives used....

had him for just over a week, 1.5 Gallon tank w/filer ( i turned it off becuase hes struggling to swim so bad) and i changed the water once. He has plastic plant and i used betta water treatment and i just put some melafix in there.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #6 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara121 View Post
What can i do to raise the water temperature level? Its at about 65-70
... And we have a winner!

Thank You For Playing 'Spelling It Out' The Game Show Where The Contestant Actually Say's Whats Wrong Without Knowing It!

Sorry... that just seemed funny to me ANWAY...

That is MUCH MUCH too cold for your guy that's probably if not IS why he's so listless. Betta's need to be around 80F.

DON'T JUST ADD HOT WATER! That would shock him. Try to find a warm spot in the house... there MUST be somewhere where it's MUCH warmer. Try putting the tank there, or if thats too much trouble just put him in that bowl you mentioned and move it to a much warmer area. Just moving the fish to a warmer area will gradually warm the water up.

If you can at least get him up to 75F he'll start being more active.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #7 
lara121

I dont think that was a good idea. I finally was able to catch him with the net, but he freaked out and exhausted himself... or is seriously dieing. He wedged himself upside down and i had to pull the filter out very careful so it didnt squish him... and he floated upsite down and now hes laying on his side not moving nothing but his gills. I bet hes in shock.... but i placed him in a bowl of water from his tank and... well... i dont think hes going to live long. Hes just laying on his side. Im not a horrible fish owner, ive bought alot of things to try and make him better, unfortunatly i cannot buy a heater unless i order it ( i live in a very small community very far up north).... I feel really bad. I moved him and now he looks WORSE. >: (

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
... And we have a winner!

Thank You For Playing 'Spelling It Out' The Game Show Where The Contestant Actually Say's Whats Wrong Without Knowing It!

Sorry... that just seemed funny to me ANWAY...

That is MUCH MUCH too cold for your guy that's probably if not IS why he's so listless. Betta's need to be around 80F.

DON'T JUST ADD HOT WATER! That would shock him. Try to find a warm spot in the house... there MUST be somewhere where it's MUCH warmer. Try putting the tank there, or if thats too much trouble just put him in that bowl you mentioned and move it to a much warmer area. Just moving the fish to a warmer area will gradually warm the water up.

If you can at least get him up to 75F he'll start being more active.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #8 
FishyFriend1

what meds did you get?
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #9 
lara121

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFriend1 View Post
what meds did you get?
melafix
Old 01-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

Dude. Dormdrax. Chill out with the comments D:
Warmer will def. help him. Keep him in as warm a spot as you can, and if you truly cant get a heater, Ive heard of using a heating pad (search it int he search bar and youll find more about it), as well as what Ive personally done, which is taken warmer than the tank water (NOT HOT!) and replaced it once in a while to raise the temp.
I know your pain on the far north thing.. I live in a town where walmart is like the biggest deal ever :/ Do your VERY best to get one. I got a marineland 10w (which I have in my own 1.5 gal, I think we might have the same!)
If it has a top, Wrap your tank. Ive wrapped it in a scarf to keep the cold out and warm in, as well as putting the scarf around the top (but still where he can get air!) or by putting plastic wrap around it(?). Do your very best to help him.
I truly think its because hes chilly, mine did that too :,c
Leave him be and make him cozy and he'll get better when hes warm :3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote