Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2011, 04:21 AM   #1 
c4talys7

Exclamation Betta got stuck!!!

I just bought two Betta from Petco today and am currently keeping them in 1.5gal storage bins with an Arachais (sp?) bunch floating in each bin. I bought a 14gal kit that I was going to cycle then put them in (divided of course). But for now I was going to keep them in these bins and just change the water everyday.

PROBLEM!!! I got recommended by several people that the terra-cotta planting pots make a good cave for Betta. Well one of my fish tried to go through the hole in the bottom of the pot and got stuck. While my boyfriend and I were trying to free him he squirmed so much that he came out going forwards. He has a lot of missing scales and a little tiny speck of blood at the beginning of his tail. Pictures are below

There is currently AquaSafe conditioner in the water and I took him out of the bin and he is back in his small cup that we bought him in.

I need to know the next course of action please! I have Aquarium salt with me and the conditioner. I am a college student and don't exactly have access to anywhere right now.

The fish is swimming around and can go up for air and whatnot. He's just hanging out at the bottom of his cup right now but he still has his swimming fins (?).

This is his bin now with my glass mug in as a replacement for the terra-cotta pot.

What he got stuck in

He is still moving around a little, just kinda floating there. I have a heater but it is with the big kit which I have not set up yet because I was going to Cycle it. Unless I don't need to and I can just put the filter on, the heater in, and acclimate them? I do not have a testing kit with me but I bought pure ammonia because I heard that it was the most precise way to cycle a tank so if anyone can give me some more info on that and/or a course of action for my injured fish that would be great!

BTW: The other fish is as happy as can be. I took out his pot as well though. Didn't want to take chances.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #2 
c4talys7

One more thing, I did not change the bin water that now has the aquarium salt in it, but I took him out with water before I put the salt in.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #3 
c4talys7

There's no blood in the water but his skin looks pink and irritated.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #4 
c4talys7

Ok, since I have gotten no response yet and from what I found around the site I will be adding a little Aquarium Salt and adding him back into his bin. For about a week I will use the Aquarium salt (Possibly changing it to Epsom salt tomorrow) and do 1-2 water changes a day. The plant will continue to be in there until I get the big tank going and stick them in that one while it's cycling.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #5 
Biomess

Ouch! That poor betta! It sounds like you are going in the right direction in treating your little guy. From what I've been told with using Epsom salt for treatment is 1 teaspoon per gallon of conditioned water with 100% water changes every day for no more than 7-10 days.
You may need to keep him at a steady warm temperature, around 78-80 degrees, because a lot of temperature flucuations is stressful and with him healing, it would be even more so.
Also, I heard that some aquarium plants can't take the salt water treament too well, so I would keep a look out on the plant to make sure it's not deteriorating. Good Luck!
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #6 
c4talys7

Thank you so much for replying! I was worried that what I was doing wouldn't help and I have him floating in his cup with about 3/4in-1in of water to make it easier to get some air. He was laying on his side this morning and keeps falling over. He can still swim up for air when he needs it though.

I might move his plant to the other fish's bin, who already has a bubble nest going, so he can start fighting that plant too lol. Least one of them is happy currently.

But thank you again! I'm going to look for Epsom salt at my pharmacy today and start on that with the water changes.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #7 
vaygirl

That's a very common occurrence with those pots. I really think we need a sticky about it. You can fill the hole with aquarium safe silicone.

I think you'd be better off with the aquarium salt then the epsom salt. Epsom salt is good for swelling and constipation. Aquarium salt is good for helping healing wounds and preventing fungus and infection.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #8 
c4talys7

Yeah there should be a sticky because I saw a lot of people that have these pots. His skin looks a little less pink today so I guess that's good. So I'll continue what I'm doing for the next few days and I'll probably move his plant out because I read it's not good with salt treatments.

I will hate to have to take out my other Betta's plant because he started another bubble nest around it. Would it be okay to add his plant after the cycling is done and I just put one plant in the cycling tank? Or will that mess up the whole deal?

Thank you for your help on this. I really hope he gets better and that his scales grow back.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #9 
vaygirl

No, it's fine just to have the one plant. I hope they grow back too. Take heart! My Kilo once got his face sucked into a siphon tube and lost a good chunk of skin. He healed up just fine. You can't even tell he was hurt. Just continue with your plan. It's a good one.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #10 
c4talys7

Thank you! He just lays on his side in his cup but I think that's because he's still feeling the after effects of the incident. Hopefully in the next few days he'll be well enough, more energetic enough, to go back in his other bin. He is refusing his food though. Maybe just stressed?

Tags
blood, injuries, scales ripped