Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #11 
c4talys7

As an update and hoping for feedback, he is upside down and still breathing and when move the cup he flips back over and gets air. Is he just trying to heal himself?
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #12 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

c4talys7,

The same thing happened to my betta, Baby Blue, about two months ago...
and I said the same thing, we need to sticky about terracotta pots for new betta owners. Bettas seem to be extra curious and it can get them into trouble, especially with those pots!.

After a week, BB healed up all on her own, with nothing more than regular water changes. BB was lucky, though.

BRB...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #13 
Kethlas

May I suggest little pieces of fresh garlic in addition to your salt routine? Garlic helps boosts the immune system and fight of diseases and parasites - and with open wounds like that, a little natural boost won't hurt.

I hope he feels better :(
Kethlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #14 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Try to PM (private message) oldfishlady... she is a 'super moderator' here and a wealth of information.

Good Luck with your fishy... hope he feels 'betta' soon!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #15 
c4talys7

Lol thanks! I hope so too...
Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #16 
vaygirl

Probably he IS stressed. Sometimes keeping them in a dim place helps. You can put a towel over his container with a corner open for air and just give him some time, don't hover. :) Easy to say, I know.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #17 
c4talys7

Okay thank you, I'll do his water change for today and put him up on my shelf away from the window light. If he doesn't improve I'll contact Oldfishlady then. He does seem to like to perspective of being upside-down though.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #18 
c4talys7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kethlas View Post
May I suggest little pieces of fresh garlic in addition to your salt routine? Garlic helps boosts the immune system and fight of diseases and parasites - and with open wounds like that, a little natural boost won't hurt.

I hope he feels better :(
I'll pick up some garlic today. I'm scared to tank him out of his cup because he swims upside down. He was perfectly normal and healthy when I bought him yesterday. Now he's breathing hard. Or perhaps since I was in such a panic I didn't notice it before.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #19 
Kethlas

How big is his cup/tank? He might not be getting enough air and space to move, hence the weird floating angles and heavy breathing. I work at a Petco, and I know it's rather common for them to just kinda float sideways or upside down in their cups due to the space. And since the amount of surface water tends to equal the amount of available air, he might not be getting enough of that.

Assuming he's still in the Petco cup, I would carefully pour the cup of water (and him) into his tank - or bin, if you're 14 gal isn't finished cycling - which should already be at least 50-75% full of conditioned water. It'll stress him out a little, but if your careful enough, it won't hurt him. Make sure he has enough room to move around in, a small plant or decoration (run some stockings or pantyhose over it first, that way you'll know if it'll snag his fins), and he should be fine.

As for said tank...personally, I've always felt it safer to let it cycle without adding chemicals. I've had a betta accidentally die on me because I had no idea what I was doing at the the time, and added him as soon as I filled it up - my fiancee and I were heartbroken for weeks. However, if you want to speed up the process, make sure you follow the directions on the bottle precisely.

Now, take a deep breath, and keep thinking good thoughts. Positive thinking has never hurt anything :) Good luck!
Kethlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #20 
c4talys7

Thank you for your feed back. I have them both in seperate 1.5gal bins. The injured one is in his cup (his QT cup) and is floating in his bin. He started swimming upside down and looked like he had trouble getting to the surface for air so I put a little water in the cup so he can get air much more easily. I know that's what people do with Betta that have dropsy and can't swim well. So I thought I would use the same concept.

He looks a little more calm now. I tend to freak out over my pets a lot. I think the day after is the worst with any injury so maybe he's just stressed and trying to get better.

I contacted Oldfishlady though and learned from her that I should do tannins (sp?) in addition to what I'm doing. So hopefully he will be okay soon.

Thank you guys for all your help! :)

Tags
blood, injuries, scales ripped