Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #1 
c4talys7

Red face Pure Ammonia???

Hello, I have recently bought a 14gal Aquarium kit for my two Betta that I have just purchased. I want to cycle it with pure ammonia but it turns out the ammonia I got from WalMart isn't pure ammonia. The ingredients are: Ammonium Hydroxide and Surfactant. It also foams when I shake the bottle.

I read on some other threads that the ammonia that you want to cycle your tank with is not suppose to do that.

Can anyone describe (or post picture) of what pure ammonia looks like? If you can, also post some places I could find it? I live in Hawaii currently so I have no idea where I would be able to get this stuff? I haven't lived here for long.

Please help, one of my fish is injured, he got stuck in a terra-cotta pot and has many, many scales ripped off. I would like to get him in some cycled healthy water sometime in the next month. I am doing daily water changes in his storage bin with some aquarium salt and he has his plant with him.

But anyways, I would rather not have to ship ammonia from Amazon and pay ridiculous shipping. Thanks!
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #2 
jschristian44

ok. are you putting aquarium salt in with his water? these fish are tropical fish, not saltwater. do not do that! as for pure ammonia, why don't you just do the fish method like i am doing. i put a piece of shrimp in the tank 2 days ago and i already saw tons of changes in my tank just by looking at it. you also need a good water test kit that comes with ph/nitrite/nitrate levels.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #3 
jschristian44

here you go

http://www.dollartree.com/new-arriva...n%2Fa-_-971008
Old 01-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #4 
c4talys7

Thank you guys! And yeah, I was advised by some people to use aquarium salt (for freshwater fish, which in that case isn't salt at all, I mean you can use it for goldfish) while I'm treating his injuries though. It's only for about 7 days.

I think I will have to use the shrimp method because we don't have a dollar tree here unless Ace Hardware has some. Thanks for the picture though! :)
Old 01-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #5 
c4talys7

I am going to search for a test kit today, Petco ran out so hopefully there's some form of pet store around here that has a test kit.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #6 
jschristian44

i got my test kit off amazon for 22 shipped, it comes with all the tests, best kit i found so far. as for pure ammonia, ace hardware does have it. its in a liter bottle with a red label and clear bottle. but honestly id just do the shrimp method. just drop a piece of shrimp in, test the levels from time to time and your set. add some live plants to speed up process.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #7 
c4talys7

Thank you! I can easily get a piece of shrimp so I'll just do that. I have one live plant that I can put in there, the other one is making my other Betta happy (he made a bubble nest already, first time for me!) I feel bad taking the plant away.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #8 
jschristian44

go to aquabid.com and get plants there. i just got 5 amazon sword plants for like 12 dollars shipped. i am honestly new to all this stuff, but ive done tons of research so far. i probably spent near 100 dollars on all the supplies, but i expect to make some of that back when i sell my betta fry.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #9 
c4talys7

Yeah, I've spend about $100 so far. I'll check the websites for more plants or I'll make another trip to the petco (it's just an 1.5hr bus ride so it's a pain to get there.). I've been doing research as much as I can, thanks for the plant resources!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #10 
jschristian44

if you have paypal or money orders go to aquabid.com...they have by far the cheapest prices on fish/plants online and ive searched almost everywhere.

Tags
pure ammonia