Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #1 
coolcucumber

Exclamation My betta has pinched fins?

All of his fins are looking pinched now, which is making me really worried. Hes in a bowl floating in a tank, in the pic. But, his fins are looking really wierd. He has bettafix and some aquarium salt. he looks like hes having trouble swimming, but he swims up when i open the tank lid. He still eats alot, and vigorously.

Any ideas about what could be causing this? the temperature is fine, 80 degrees.
Attached Images

coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #2 
shinybetta

The same thing happened to my fish. I hope someone can figure it out.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #3 
coolcucumber

Yea. I had one die yesterday, and this one seems really lethargic now. No-one seems to know, though, so its really confusing.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #4 
JKfish

that happens sometimes when they clamp or blow their fins. the pinched portions will stay like that, but as the fins grow, it'll be alright. Don't worry, the fins are nothing to worry about, though why is he clamping? Why does he look stressed?

How often are you doing water changes on that jar, and why isn't he in the tank? Bettafix is considered pretty much useless, there's talk that it actually hurts more than it helps. If he is sick, clean water and some salt will do a better job.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #5 
coolcucumber

Oh, alright. Hes in the jar because OFL said it was better then the full tank. Hes only been in the jar for about a day, and i did a water change this morning.

so, i should stop the bettafix?

I really dont know why hes stressed. He just lies there, and doesnt seem to be getting any better.

I shouldnt use any medication, then?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #6 
JKfish

Unless you know exactly what's wrong with him, I'd stop, especially with the betta fix. Keep his water warm and very very clean....

when did you get him? Is he still eating?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #7 
coolcucumber

I got his quite a while ago, 7months. hes eating, and i just bought a new betta, a blue half-moon to replace my gorgueous dragon one, and hes darting about the glass excitedly. its just when he lays down and looks sad, and his fin.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #8 
coolcucumber

I went to the store and got some medication, and the store employee advised me to get Maracide. However, im debating on wether or not to use it, because it says for ick, velvet, and external parasites, and i dont think he has any. just the fin issues and being lethargic. cause, next to my new fish, hes trying to flare and spread his fins, but his fins arent spreading well..
Old 01-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #9 
JKfish

Wait, so you've got another betta in a tank next to his tank where they can see each other? If your betta decided to go on a flaring spree, then he probably got a little overexcited trying to fight with the other betta in the tank next to his. How long was he flaring at the other betta? I know if fish flare too long, they can blow their fins, but when they do it's not that huge of a deal.

See my avvie? Well, that was my vt Puffy. He blew his fins, and at the bottom half of his anal fins you can see where they were pinched together. Eventually over time your male's fins will grow out and the new parts will not be pinched. Apart from pinched fins and as a result a slight trouble swimming, is there anything else wrong with him behavior wise? If not, release him back into his tank, and just keep something between the two fish tanks to block their views of each other and keep the water clean. There isn't much medicine will do for you here.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #10 
fishman12

Good kuck
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote