Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #1 
Abby

Breeding for colors?

cant work out how to word this.
i have Dastan (avatar) and when im ready to breed him, what sort of female should i pick to retain his colour?
has anyone developed a color-color = color line?
[eg: blue male red female = purple babies] kind of thing???
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

It doesn't really work that way. To know what colors to expect you have to know the background of the breeders.

Breeding red to blue will give you reds, blues, and a LOT of fish with red wash. It is like one of the most undesirable crosses because every pet store in the world has blue and red VTs... too common a mix.

Purple is a color that hasn't been proven to breed true yet. There's been very, very few true purple fish. In fact I've only ever seen or heard about one fish that was actually purple. Most fish that appear purple are actually red with blue wash or vice versa. (Someone correct me on that).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #3 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
It doesn't really work that way. To know what colors to expect you have to know the background of the breeders.

Breeding red to blue will give you reds, blues, and a LOT of fish with red wash. It is like one of the most undesirable crosses because every pet store in the world has blue and red VTs... too common a mix.

Purple is a color that hasn't been proven to breed true yet. There's been very, very few true purple fish. In fact I've only ever seen or heard about one fish that was actually purple. Most fish that appear purple are actually red with blue wash or vice versa. (Someone correct me on that).
hence why i asked this question. one guy i know had a true purple Betta, a real purple not a red blue wash.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #4 
Abby

and on the other part :
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish
thats kinda hard with my male being a LPS fish
Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

The only known purple fish is this fish...

link

Keep in mind this article was posted in 2003.... I have yet to see an update on Stark's experiments or heard of any other purples being produced. It's possible some people are still working on it and not letting any fish get out of their fish rooms but more likely it is proving to be extremely difficult to breed true.

As for LPS fish. Your just not going to be able to tell what you'll get. I'm not sure how it works in Australia but fish bred from LPS stock tend to be unpopular and red/blue mixes even more so.... that is, at least, for serious breeders. People looking for just pets tend to care less about the genetic make up of their pets.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

I own two purple males from Karen...usually the purple only comes out depending on how the light hits them. A true purple line would be amazing.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote