Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #1 
jschristian44

Aquarium Lighting is Noisy

My new Aquarium Light is noisy. I never had one in there before but this one makes like a buzzing sound. Is this normal?
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #2 
Missy2280

I have never heard of that. Do you have a filter in the tank? Could it be the vibration of the filter making the metal parts on the light rattle? Just a thought:)
Missy2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #3 
Slayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
My new Aquarium Light is noisy. I never had one in there before but this one makes like a buzzing sound. Is this normal?
What type of lighting is it?

The only buzzing sound I could think of would be if you had florescent lighting like the type that building had the the ballast was on it way out that is when you get a buzzing sound.
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #4 
mand

Mine made a buzzing sound when the tube was on its way out, it also flickered slightly.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #5 
jschristian44

well mine flickers when it comes on and buzzes. but i think thats how the tube kind are aren't they? its a flurescent 6500k tropical sun light which is 20" long and like .5" diameter. it's not on it's way out, its brand new.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #6 
Slayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
well mine flickers when it comes on and buzzes. but i think thats how the tube kind are aren't they? its a flurescent 6500k tropical sun light which is 20" long and like .5" diameter. it's not on it's way out, its brand new.
it is bad in the tube type they have what is called a ballast which would be to big for the smaller compact type so they use a starter which does the same job. I would take it back and ask for a replacement it should not flicker

There might be some small buzzing going on I have the energy saving bulbs in every lamp I own and they give off a small buzz but nothing that I can hear when the TV is on.

I would really take it back and ask for a replacement it should not flicker and if the buzzing is loud there might be a problem with just that lamp
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #7 
chargers505

Also could be the air pump grinding up on something.
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #8 
jschristian44

naa its definately the bulb, and it doesnt flicker. it only flickers once when i turn it on, honestly i think its just fine...no need to take it back. if it was flickering when it was on and if the buzzing something that couldnt be drowned out easily i would have taken it back, but yeah the buzzing isnt loud, i think its meant to do what its doing.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #9 
bloo97

Ah yes, the classic light buzz sound. I have a lamp in my house that does that.

I think it's just the light. You would have to change the kind of light. How big is your tank?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #10 
jschristian44

ive got a 10 gallon tank. got it used but the bulb was out so i bought a new one. i really like the bulb because it supplies more heat to the tank like 2-3 degrees and i can actually see stuff in the tank with it on. it's really not a big deal, just kinda gets annoying, but im not gonna leave it on all the time i dont think.